The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Felix Felicis

Original post by Zakee

Thanks guys. :lol:

Now back to STEP.
Original post by Lord of the Flies

Spoiler

Lol, my solution involves inverse fourier transforming everything in sight. Needless to say, I am not an elegant mathematician.
Reply 922

:smile:

To top it off, you presented the answers really well. Très bien!
Original post by ben-smith
Needless to say, I am not an elegant mathematician.

Pf, nonsense Ben! Your solution to problem 69 was very neat for instance.

Original post by shamika
To top it off, you presented the answers really well. Très bien!

If only I could present things as neatly on paper... Mais cimer! :biggrin:
Problem 145**

Let P2(x)\mathcal{P}_2(x) be the set of all polynomials of degree at most 2.

Find q(x)P2(x)q(x) \in \mathcal{P}_2(x) such that 01p(x)q(x) dx=p(12)  \displaystyle\int_0^1 p(x)q(x)\ dx = p(\frac{1}{2}) \ for all p(x)P2(x)p(x) \in \mathcal{P}_2(x)
Reply 925
I'm back with an awesome problem... ENJOY! :colone:

Problem 146**

Evaluate
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle\sum_{p\in\mathmm{P}}^{\infty}\frac{1}{p}

Original post by Jkn
I'm back with an awesome problem... ENJOY! :colone:

Problem 146**

Evaluate

\displaystyle\sum_{p\in\mathmm{P}}^{\infty}\frac{1}{p}

So.. you mean the sum of the reciprocals of all the primes? 'cause if so..

Spoiler

Original post by FireGarden
Problem 145**

I like the problem, so...

Let Pn(x)P_{\leq n}(x) denote the set of all univariate polynomials, in xx, of degree atmost nn.

Define Φq(p)=01p(x)q(x) dx\displaystyle \Phi_q(p) = \int_{0}^{1} p(x) q(x)\ dx for p,qPn(x)p,q \in P_{\leq n}(x).

The goal is to find qq such that Φq(p)=p(a)\Phi_q(p) = p(a) for all pPn(x)p \in P_{\leq n}(x), where aRa \in \mathbb{R}.

Notice that Φq(xn)=an\Phi_q(x^n) = a^n by assumption. In addition, we have:

i) Φaq=aΦq\Phi_{a q} = a\Phi_{q} for a constant aa and polynomial qq.
ii) Φq+p=Φq+Φp\Phi_{q + p} = \Phi_{q} + \Phi_{p} for polynomials qq and pp.

and Φxa(xb)=1a+b+1\displaystyle \Phi_{x^a}(x^b) = \frac{1}{a + b + 1}.

Spoiler

Problem 147 / ***

Assume ss is a set containing numbers. Let σ(s)\sigma(s) and π(s)\pi(s) denote the sum and product, respectively, of all the elements in the set ss.

Let SS be the set {1,2,...,n}\{1, 2, ..., n\}.

i) Find an expression for sP(S)1π(s)\displaystyle \sum_{s \in \mathcal{P}(S)} \frac{1}{\pi(s)}.

ii) Prove that sP(S),sσ(s)π(s)=n(n+2)(n+1)k=1n1k\displaystyle \sum_{s \in \mathcal{P}(S), s \not= \varnothing } \frac{\sigma(s)}{\pi(s)} = n(n+2) - (n+1)\sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{k}.

Note that π()=1\pi(\varnothing) = 1.
Reply 929
Original post by FireGarden
So.. you mean the sum of the reciprocals of all the primes? 'cause if so..

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Jkn

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 931
Original post by bananarama2

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 932
Solution 147

Part i). Consider (1+1)××(1+1n)=n+1\displaystyle \left(1+1 \right)\times \cdots \times \left(1+\frac{1}{n} \right) = n+1. Hence, sP(S)1π(s)=n+1\displaystyle \sum_{s \in \mathcal{P(S)}} \frac{1}{\pi(s)} = n+1. I include

s = \O

Part ii). We use induction. The base case is obvious. Suppose that our result is true for all i{1,2,,n}i \in \{1,2, \cdots, n\}. We prove it for n+1n+1.
Split our sum into two parts:

\begin{aligned} \displaystyle \sum_{s \in \mathcal{P}(S_{n+1}), s \not= \O} \frac{\sigma(s)}{\pi(s)} & = \sum_{s \in \mathcal{P}(S_{n}), s \not= \O} \frac{\sigma(s)}{\pi(s)} + \sum_{s \in \mathcal{P}(S_{n} )} \frac{n+1 + \sigma(s)}{(n+1)\pi(s)} \\&= n(n+2) - (n+1)H_{n} + 1+n + \frac{1}{n+1}(n(n+2) - (n+1)H_{n}) \\& = n(n+2) - (n+1)H_{n} + 2n+2 - \frac{1}{n+1} -H_{n} \\&= (n+1)(n+3) - (n+2)H_{n+1} \end{aligned}

Remark: I denoted Sn={1,2,,n}S_{n} = \{1,2,\cdots, n\} in part ii).

Solution 146

The kkth prime is less than 2klnk+22k\ln k +2 for k2k \ge 2. Hence the series diverges.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 933
Original post by Mladenov

Solution 146

The kkth prime is greater than k(lnk+ln(lnk1))k(\ln k + \ln(\ln k-1)) for k2k \ge 2. Hence the series diverges.

Reminds me of this:
And_then_a_miracle_happens_cartoon.jpg

Spoiler

Here's an easier one. Undergrads will find it child's play but it's a really nice result so I'll post it anyway:

Problem 148**

Evaluate sin2xx2dx\displaystyle\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{sin^2x}{x^2}dx
I shall use the same method as when I did sinxxdx\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin x}{x}\,dx in a previous solution.

Solution 148

f(t)=0(sintxx)2dxL{f(t)}=01x20etssin2txdtdx=01x2(2x2s(s2+4x2))dx=π2s2        L1{π2s2}=πt2    (sinxx)2dx=π\begin{aligned} f(t)=\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \left(\frac{\sin tx}{x}\right)^2\,dx\Rightarrow \mathcal{L}\{ f(t)\} &=\int_0^{\infty}\frac{1}{x^2} \int_0^{\infty}e^{-ts} \sin^2 tx\,dt\,dx \\ & =\int_0^{\infty}\frac{1}{x^2} \left( \frac{2x^2}{s(s^2+4x^2)}\right) \,dx\\&=\frac{\pi}{2s^2}\;\;\; \Rightarrow\; \mathcal{L}^{-1}\left\{\dfrac{\pi}{2s^2} \right\}=\dfrac{\pi t}{2}\;\Rightarrow\;\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left( \frac{\sin x}{x}\right)^2\,dx=\pi\end{aligned}

Spoiler

It would be interesting if we could figure out a closed form for (sinxx)ndx\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left(\frac{\sin x}{x}\right)^n \,dx
(edited 10 years ago)
I really must learn about Laplace transforms.
I really must learn about Laplace transforms.

Have a look at this. It's a bit slow at times but it is clear and he's quite a fun lecturer!
Reply 937
Original post by Jkn

Spoiler

I am too busy these days, and I considered the problem superficially.
I need an upper bound.
Here is one sufficient upper bound - for k>1k>1, we have pk<2klnk+2p_{k} < 2k \ln k +2. Now, it is obvious that pP1p>k212klnk+2\displaystyle \sum_{p \in \mathbb{P}} \frac{1}{p} > \sum_{k \ge 2} \frac{1}{2k \ln k +2}; the last series diverges.
Have a look at this. It's a bit slow at times but it is clear and he's quite a fun lecturer!

Indeed, that was quite good! I skipped bits of working and examples though :colone:
Indeed, that was quite good! I skipped bits of working and examples though :colone:

Ha, yes that's what I meant by "slow" :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest