Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The equation for voltage at a point, V1, across a resistor with R1 resistance in a potential divider with resistors R1 and R2 is given by:

V_1 = V_o + \Delta V \frac{R_1}{R_1 + R_2}, where \Delta V is the voltage across the potential divider and V_o is the voltage at reference point.

Here is the problem I am solving:

The question is to find the voltage V3 and the given answer is -10 V.

The arrow is across the 60 \Omega resistor, so I calculated:

V_3 = -14 + [-2 - (-14)] \times [\frac{60}{60 + 30}] = -6 V, which is not the right answer.

I get -10 V if I replace the 60 ohms on the numerator with 30 ohms, which is the resistance of the other resistor.

V_3 = -14 + [-2 - (-14)] \times [\frac{30}{60 + 30}] = -10 V

Could you explain why is that the case?

ReputationRep:
    It's east to see, either using the potential divider equation (or more quickly by noting the ratio of the resistors) that there is 8 V across the 60 ohm resistor and 4 V across the 30 ohm resistor. The only confusion is what the question is actually asking! I think it is trying to get you to say what the potential is at a point between the resistors, taking the -2 V as the referece point (hence the direction of the arrow, away from the reference point). This gives a potential at that point as -2 + (-8) = -10 (the 8 V across the 60 ohm resistor should be treated as negative in the direction of the arrow as it points in the direction of increasing negative potential).

So, it is not the resistors that are the wrong way around in your equation, it is the choice of V0.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.