Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

General question regarding car insurance Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone
    I have a quick question to ask: I am looking at buying a car very soon, I am a full time student and finish uni in 2 months time and I currently work weekends.

Regarding car insurance, I assume I will have to state that I am in 'full time education' but in 10 weeks time I will be working longer hours and no longer in education, is it easier enough to change my details at this time from 'Full time education' to 'employed' and is there a cost for doing so?
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    There's likely to be an admin fee applied on changing your details, but the cost in savings should be more beneficial in the long run. Depending on the insurer, it could be a £20 fee to change that sort of info, but it could potentially save you hundreds each year.

If there are savings to be had from booking online, try going down that route. I think some companies may require you to call just to confirm the insurance though - If so (or just by phoning in the first place when you've compared online) speak to the person and let them know what the deal is... In the best case scenario they might allow you to put "employed" on your insurance in the first place - After all, you will be spending the majority of your time on that policy as an employee and not a student. Second best case is that they might trigger the system to change your career status automatically after a few weeks (but many insurers can be a bit useless and "forget" when you change details. We've had problems changing details in the past). Worst case scenario is that you just have to call up again in a few months and change the details yourself.

It would be best to ask them though. For now though, assume you're a student. If they can make any of the aforementioned exceptions, make sure you get it in writing and some sort of confirmation off the insurer. You don't want to get caught if, for whatever reason, they give you that information "on the side". Make sure it's official.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    There's likely to be an admin fee applied on changing your details, but the cost in savings should be more beneficial in the long run. Depending on the insurer, it could be a £20 fee to change that sort of info, but it could potentially save you hundreds each year.

If there are savings to be had from booking online, try going down that route. I think some companies may require you to call just to confirm the insurance though - If so (or just by phoning in the first place when you've compared online) speak to the person and let them know what the deal is... In the best case scenario they might allow you to put "employed" on your insurance in the first place - After all, you will be spending the majority of your time on that policy as an employee and not a student. Second best case is that they might trigger the system to change your career status automatically after a few weeks (but many insurers can be a bit useless and "forget" when you change details. We've had problems changing details in the past). Worst case scenario is that you just have to call up again in a few months and change the details yourself.

It would be best to ask them though. For now though, assume you're a student. If they can make any of the aforementioned exceptions, make sure you get it in writing and some sort of confirmation off the insurer. You don't want to get caught if, for whatever reason, they give you that information "on the side". Make sure it's official.
    Thank you very much for your response, it was very helpful

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.