Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to lose weight before heading into the Army Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,
    Im a 17 year old female and my weight is 13.4stone, i have applied for the army, but i know i need to lose weight. I do roughly 8 hours of gym each week or at least when i get the chance. I do eat about 1300 calories each day, but im wanting to lose 2.5 stone within 3/4 months.

I usually do 15/20 minutes on the treadmill, 15 minutes on the bike machine, 10 on the cross trainer then do 30 reps on the chest press,lat pull, tricep presses, along with 15 reps on the weightlifts at about 8/10kg.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how i can lose weight, and how many pounds i would lose each week? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    As a general rules, you can lose 1-2lbs/week pretty safely. More than that is possible at first or if you are significantly obese, which you are not. 4 months is about 16 weeks so you would be aiming to lose somewhere between 1-2 stone. 2.5 stone is probably quite ambitious and you should not that weight loss is not really an entirely linear process. Some weeks you will lose more, some weeks you will lose less.

In general, I would advise lifting before you do cardio. You want to hold onto as much muscle mass as possible for the army. Try and up the weights and keep the rep count below 15. Preferably 6-12. Also I suppose you need some idea of how you would do on the army physical fitness test. Can you run the time required/do the pressups and situps they want? Running on a treadmill and outdoors are not exactly the same etcetc.

ReputationRep:
    I can run 1.5 miles within about 17 minutes so i need to gradually knock the minutes down, the sit ups i can do more then they ask for and pressups i struggle abit as i sprained my right wrist about 4 years ago. But thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    the key is a proper diet: avoid food with high GI, eat plenty of vegetables and meat. Barley makes a good replacement for rice/patatoes and pasta btw.
    Get heavier weights, also I could suggest you kettlebels- free weights are still better for "pure" strength, but after KB you should be more... elastic (from the lack of better word). At least- that worked for me.
    What job do you wanna to apply for? Which regiment?

ReputationRep:
    Combat medical technician in the Royal Army Medical Corps. Ah right thank you ill give it a go then

ReputationRep:
    few thats quite a lot of exercise!! make sure you eat enough protein and you will be able to lose all the weight

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, and yeah i do try to eat a balanced meals because i need all the energy i can get from food. Sounds funny but i work alot better and alot harder when ive got a good meal inside haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.