Can't decide between them, I hold offers from both:

Sheffield
    -seems like a greener, safer city
    -good course
    -great su
    -great accomodation
    -decent facilities

Leeds
    -better reputation?? (to what extent does this matter?)
    -bigger teaching hospitals-the possibility to see more interesting things
    -great accomodation
    -great su as well
    -seems like the course is great, but the courses at both seem fairly similar
    -probably better medical facilities due to size

Has anyone been in this position and chosen either way?

Thanks for your help
    Any advise would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    sheffield

ReputationRep:
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    You like your set on Leeds even though I would go for Sheffield. Better reputation? Doesn't really matter too much but Sheffield ranks higher consistently for medicine http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ngs?s=Medicine. And in any major city your going to see interesting things in a hospital, Sheffield teaching hospital is one of the best in the UK, in the top 10% http://www.sth.nhs.uk/about-us/offic...quality-report, whilst Leeds heart surgery unit at the moment is...

Better facilities? Sheffield have just completed a £3.5 million project to revamp the medical school http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/nr/m...hment-1.252860

You also have ICE (intensive clinical experience) where you get really early clinical exposure from doctors and staff from hospitals at year 1. Helps you prepare for foundation year having practiced really early.

I know Leeds is fantastic and has so much to offer (especially the night life) but coming from London, Sheffield offers the best of both worlds since it has so much to do with its student union which ranks 1st in the UK and you can relax in the summer haze of the peak district. Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    As Zara says, definitely Sheffield, just the nicer of the two places to be honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MTW47)
    If you look at those tables the only thing where Sheffield scores higher is the average number of points students have on entry, which doesn't really mean much. Student satisfaction and job prospects are the same and research facilities are better at Leeds. Heart surgery is starting again on Wednesday as the statistics used to close it were not complete. Leeds is also very close to countryside. I would agree they are both great courses and uni's with not much to split them, the only way to choose is to visit both and see where you get the best feeling. Good luck with your choice
    Ye agreed both uni's are amazing and one of the best in the UK, as I said Sheffield have just finished a revamp with loads of new facilities so the data is outdated, only way Sheffield can go is up. They put medicine at it's heart. The uni was a medical school in 1828 before they introduced other courses.

Have a read of this article on how Sheffield has the best Student Union, you'll get good help, jobs and have fun with many activities and parties.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/the-nor...field-students.

Still doesn't change the fact that Leeds infirmary unit has a below than average mortality rate, however little it may be. Sheffield teaching is excellent especially at hospitals from people I've spoken to.

MTW47 unfortunate that Sheffield rejected you but good luck at Leeds and admit Sheffield is better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MTW47)
    What I said was there is really nothing to split them. So therefore people should make a decision based on which they liked at the visit, after all they are going to spend 5 or 6 years there. I am not bothered who chooses where it is up to them. I was just pointing out that the tables don't show a lot, and that surgery has now restarted. They were factual points. There is no need to get personal and insulting when I was trying to help.
    True, choose where you think you can spend 5 or so years at, have a look at the area and then decided carefully since its a big decision.

And where's the insult? I'm just re-iterating the fact you did get rejected by Sheffield but managed to get an offer from Leeds. Doesn't mean the standards at Leeds is any lower. Can't wait to start at Sheffield in Sep.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.