Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am looking for some advice on weather I have been let off with a warning or I should expect to get a court summoning in the post?

I was driving back from a party with 4 of my mates at 1:30AM on Sunday morning and I noticed i was being followed, not thinking much into it and with it being dark I did not know it was the police. I carried on at a high speed. I was driving about 45mph through a 30 zone and at 70 on a 60mph road. The police finally put the lights on and pulled me over after following me for about 3 miles. I pulled over immediately and rolled my window down. The police officer asked my name and asked where I was going to which i replied 'home' he then went on to tell me that i had been driving 45 in a 30 and 70 in a 60 and said that i had been braking on some straight roads. He asked if i had anything to drink to which i honestly replied no. He asked where i had been and what i had been doing, i told him where i had been and that i had been to a party. At this stage i noticed the other police officer standing behind the car writing the registration number down. The officer who was speaking to me then asked one more time if i had been drinking i said i hadn't and he said 'ok, you can go' and returned to the police car.

He didn't ask to take a look at my licence or any other documentation and did not give me a verbal notice of prosecution. Does this mean that I will be getting a court summoning in the post or have i got off lightly with just a warning?

Also the police drove past my house slowly twice yesterday as if they were checking something out. That might be a coincidence but I thought it may be important.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

ReputationRep:
    Sounds unlikely that they will be issuing you with a fine for speeding since they didn't mention anything to you about it and didn't ask for your license to identify you. Most likely it was just a warning and they thought they'd check you out to make sure everything was ok and nothing dodgy was going on. If they had a serious concern, they would have asked you for ID and done some more checks/questioning.

LOL at the police driving past your house, don't worry about it, they're too busy chasing down the suspected rapist living at no. 29. :P

ReputationRep:
    They gave you nothing apart from a warning so thats it IMO

ReputationRep:
    Must've been a crap party to be leaving at 1:30, just be thankful you weren't drinking.

ReputationRep:
    Plod was just giving you a bit of a scare. You will probably be fine....if not, you'll get a fine.... (joking! joking!)

T3

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    If he didn't say something along the lines of "I am reporting you for the consideration of prosecution..." then nothing will happen.

45 in a 30 and 70 in a 60 are FPN speeds anyway, so you would've been dealt by the roadside in any case rather than summoned

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Guys for your answers! Its been almost 4 months now and I have not had a summoning,

I have been lucky and got away with it this time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hendo123)
    Thanks Guys for your answers! Its been almost 4 months now and I have not had a summoning,

Did you actually learn anything from it other than the fact that you were 'lucky'? 45 in a 30?!

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite surprised by his lack of action under the circumstances. He did not ask you for ID or really investigate whether you'd be drinking or not other than taking your word for it. The car may have been insured but you could have been anybody, you might not have even been on the policy. You were quite blatantly speeding late at night in what sounds like quite built up areas. Seems like you have been 'lucky' to have been let off.

If I was in the Police I would have at least asked to see your license and may even have deemed it necessary to breathalyse you. You had just come from a party, you had a car full of people who I assume had consumed alcohol, you were driving over the speed limit and you were braking on straight roads? Sounds like some pretty dodgy driving and I do wonder why he deemed it suitable to just say "ok, you can go".

ReputationRep:
    Quite lucky not to have been breathalised. They do like to pull over cars full of people late at night. even if you've not been drinking yourself a car full of drunks can be distracting *******s.

You'd have heard something in 4 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grimezy)
    I'm quite surprised by his lack of action under the circumstances. He did not ask you for ID or really investigate whether you'd be drinking or not other than taking your word for it. The car may have been insured but you could have been anybody, you might not have even been on the policy. You were quite blatantly speeding late at night in what sounds like quite built up areas. Seems like you have been 'lucky' to have been let off.

If I was in the Police I would have at least asked to see your license and may even have deemed it necessary to breathalyse you. You had just come from a party, you had a car full of people who I assume had consumed alcohol, you were driving over the speed limit and you were braking on straight roads? Sounds like some pretty dodgy driving and I do wonder why he deemed it suitable to just say "ok, you can go".
    They can smell the alcohol on your breath - it's not difficult to tell if someone has been drinking

They often also have better things to be doing than giving out speeding tickets late at night - too much paperwork as well unless the speed was insanely excessive (mind 45 mph in a 30, I am surprised you weren't ticketed).

The officer writing down your plate will have been going to check tax/MOT/licence/no outstanding warrants for arrest.

OP - take it as a lesson.

ReputationRep:

You're far from being out of the woods yet, if they are planning to take further action.

They have six months to lay papers to the court, who will in turn summons you, which may be anywhere up to 8 months after the incident.

ReputationRep:

Next time don't do 45 in a 30. You're just asking for your licence to be revoked at those speeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibletg)
    They can smell the alcohol on your breath - it's not difficult to tell if someone has been drinking

They often also have better things to be doing than giving out speeding tickets late at night - too much paperwork as well unless the speed was insanely excessive (mind 45 mph in a 30, I am surprised you weren't ticketed).

The officer writing down your plate will have been going to check tax/MOT/licence/no outstanding warrants for arrest.

the one time they breathalised me, I'd not had a drink in a week. Sometimes I think they must just get bored tbh.

ReputationRep:
    45 in a 30 is more than safe in a lot of places at 1:30 at night. I don't see why people moan about people speeding a lot on here. If it was not safe he would of got a ticket/court summonings. So even the police must of thought it was some what safe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Depends what he's been drinking really, not everybody goes out and drinks pints all night.

I probably overreacted about his speed, we all do 40'ish in 30 zones in regular hours, but it would still depend on the areas he was driving through. There could have been other drunks stumbling around that he might not have seen while being distracted by his mates (obviously in the 30 zone). And the fact he was braking on a straight road would cause a lot of suspicions for me personally.

ReputationRep:

Just because you don't smell of alcohol doesn't mean you aren't over the limit, you can't smell alcohol off of someone unless they're smashed.
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    the one time they breathalised me, I'd not had a drink in a week. Sometimes I think they must just get bored tbh.
    They breathalise most people they pull over as a precaution.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.