Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Everyone! I have been given this question to do at uni and am stuck so please help me answer it. I have written my plan for answering the essay below.

"The role of Constitutional Conventions in our present system of government means that those in power can choose whether to adhere to constitutional rules or can change them on a whim. This is not acceptable in a democratic society."

I need to include the following in my answer:

• whether you agree or disagree with this comment
    • reasons for your position
    • sources that support your position e.g. cases
    • possible counter arguments and how you would deal with them
    • academic support for your position

Thank you.

My plan for answering the essay so far is:

1. State that I agree that the govt can choose whether to adhere to conventions or whether to change them on a whim and that this is acceptable in a democratic society.

2. Define constitution

3. Define constitutional conventions

4. Say that the fact that the govt can choose whether to adhere to conventions is shown by the two conventions of collective and ministerial responsibility and explain situations where those two conventions have been set aside/not followed.

5.Then give examples of conventions that haven't been breached and explain that it would be acceptable to breach them in a democratic society.

6.Then give examples of conventions that the govt has changed on a whim and explain how this is acceptable in a democratic society.

7. Then give examples of conventions that the govt has not changed on a whim e.g they were changed over a period of time. I could give the example of the convention that the general election should take place every 5 years which has been replaced by the Fixed Term Parliament Act 2011 and can explain that the convention was not changed on a whim and that the Fixed Term Parliament Act 2011 was debated for months before being given royal assent.

8. Academic commentary which supports my view that the govt can choose whether to adhere to conventions or whether to change them on a whim and that this is acceptable in a democratic society.

9. Academic commentary which opposes my view that the govt can choose whether to adhere to conventions or whether to change them on a whim and that this is acceptable in a democratic society.

10. Compare and contrast the academic views.

The end.

ReputationRep:
    bump

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.