Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which is your preferred method of cooking a jacket potato - do you microwave or oven bake - or a bit of both? I can't seem to make it fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside :sad:

ReputationRep:
    bit of both, few minutes in the microwave and few minutes in the oven. Unless it's just one of these microwave frozen potatoes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachel.h)
    Which is your preferred method of cooking a jacket potato - do you microwave or oven bake - or a bit of both? I can't seem to make it fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside :sad:
    Cut a 'x' shape in to the top and rub the out side with salt, place in microwave full power for 7min 45sec, at the same time have the oven heating to 210 degrees (Celsius) which i think is about gas mark 7 place the potato/s straight on to the oven shelf and cook for about 35 mins (can take up to 50min depending on potato and oven) should come out crisp on the out side, fluffy in the middle. serve with a big bit on butter on top for best results.

ReputationRep:
    My dad used to cook really gorgeous baked potatoes! It did take a while, but urgh - it was so worth it!

You preheat the oven at around Gas Mark 7 (fairly high) then prepare the potatoes by rubbing them with groundnut oil and piercing them several times with a fork. Cover a baking tray with rock salt - this absorbs moisture and creates a super crispy potato skin. Cook the potatoes for around 45 - 60 mins.

He'd then take them out of the oven, open the potatoes up and scoop the potato out of the skin. Then, you can mix it in a bowl with whatever filling you like (I like veggie chilli!) and once you're done, he'd put the filling back in the skin (it's easier to do than you'd think because the skin is so crispy) and stick them back in the oven for around 10-15 mins to heat the filling.

You cook leave out the last step and put your filling on top, but it makes for a super tasty tater when it's all combined!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SakuraTotoro)
    My dad used to cook really gorgeous baked potatoes! It did take a while, but urgh - it was so worth it!

You preheat the oven at around Gas Mark 7 (fairly high) then prepare the potatoes by rubbing them with groundnut oil and piercing them several times with a fork. Cover a baking tray with rock salt - this absorbs moisture and creates a super crispy potato skin. Cook the potatoes for around 45 - 60 mins.

He'd then take them out of the oven, open the potatoes up and scoop the potato out of the skin. Then, you can mix it in a bowl with whatever filling you like (I like veggie chilli!) and once you're done, he'd put the filling back in the skin (it's easier to do than you'd think because the skin is so crispy) and stick them back in the oven for around 10-15 mins to heat the filling.

You cook leave out the last step and put your filling on top, but it makes for a super tasty tater when it's all combined!
    mmmm that does sound yummy.

ReputationRep:
    I wash them well, then rub in olive oil and coarsely ground salt to make the skins crispy and tasty! Then I put on a baking tray and pop in the oven at 200oC for about an hour.

ReputationRep:
    I wash them, prick them with a fork, wrap foil around them and leave them in the oven. When they are nearly done I take the foil off and leave them for a bit.

ReputationRep:
    If I have the time/can be bothered I do it in the oven as it tastes better but if im in a rush I just bang it in the microwave.

ReputationRep:
    covered in olive oil, smoked paprika, black pepper and a bit of salf and in the oven for a bit. Also, stabbing it with a fork helps.

It is called a baked potato for a reason. If it was meant to me microwaved it would be named as such. However it is not.

ReputationRep:
    wash it, spin it in the microwave, stab it with a fork, put some margarine and salt and mm mm mm delish!

ReputationRep:

I do that but without the rock salt and groundnut oil, may have to incorporate that.
    I mix the potato with ham and cheese, it is so good and so so worth it
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Depends how hungry I am, if I can wait then I pop it in the oven, X cut with butter and salt etc.

If I can't wait I don't cook a jacket potato, I eat something else instead :yep:

ReputationRep:
    6-7 mins in the microwave because I'm lazy and can't wait for an hour.

However the best way to do them is to rub with a little oil, salt and pepper, wrap in foil and put in a bonfire for an hour or more. Or an oven if you don't have a bonfire to hand :P yum!

ReputationRep:
    this thread has put me in the mood for a good old tattie

ReputationRep:
    doing it in the oven is long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heirloom)
    I do that but without the rock salt and groundnut oil, may have to incorporate that.
    I mix the potato with ham and cheese, it is so good and so so worth it
    The oil and salt just add that extra crispiness - the skin is just to die for!
    Does take that wee bit longer, but if you have the time, it's totally worth it! Can't beat a bit of cheese with a baked tater :top:

ReputationRep:
    The oil and salt just add that extra crispiness - the skin is just to die for!
    Does take that wee bit longer, but if you have the time, it's totally worth it! Can't beat a bit of cheese with a baked tater :top:
    Had it for dinner tonight, it was gorg :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Rub the potato in olive oil, salt and black pepper. Wrap in foil and stick in the oven for an hour. Take out of foil, put back in oven for 10 minutes. Take out of oven and top with beans, cheese and butter.

Might do this for dinner tonight actually.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.