Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just looking into stipends. I can find how much they are etc, but can't find anywhere quite how they are paid. Monthly, annually, in chunks? Adavances for accommodatin? any help appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olddad)
    Just looking into stipends. I can find how much they are etc, but can't find anywhere quite how they are paid. Monthly, annually, in chunks? Adavances for accommodatin? any help appreciated.
    Assuming this is RCUK? I get mine at the start of each quarter:

01 October 2012
    01 January 2013
    01 April 2013
    01 July 2013

ReputationRep:
    I believe the AHRC pays in chunks, quarterly -- in effect, at the beginning of the autumn, spring and summer terms, and then at the beginning of the summer break. No idea how other funding bodies do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vousden)
    Assuming this is RCUK? I get mine at the start of each quarter:

01 October 2012
    01 January 2013
    01 April 2013
    01 July 2013
    Sorry. it is STFC funded.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry. it is STFC funded.
    It will be every three months from the start of the PhD. You can either collect it as a cheque from the university finance office or have it paid directly into a current account. If you get it as a cheque you usually receive it a little early as most unis write checks once or twice a month. Advances are unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy_)
    It will be every three months from the start of the PhD. You can either collect it as a cheque from the university finance office or have it paid directly into a current account. If you get it as a cheque you usually receive it a little early as most unis write checks once or twice a month. Advances are unlikely.
    Good. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy_)
    Is this always true? I mean, is it something specific to the council? I thought how stipends were paid were down to the individual Uni. For example, I get paid monthly, though I know others ESRC students who get termly payments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flying plum)
    Is this always true? I mean, is it something specific to the council? I thought how stipends were paid were down to the individual Uni. For example, I get paid monthly, though I know others ESRC students who get termly payments.
    This is a good point actually. I am STFC funded at Southampton, i'd imagine it will be similar but I guess checking with the uni is the best advice

ReputationRep:
    STFC = Shut the f**k cup right?

Sorry I just had to get out of my system.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.