London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tigerz
Ahh cool, haha don't need to deal with mister curly then :wink:

Considered 'econometrics with mathematical economics?'

Unless I decide to do a few Maths modules :P

I have but they said that course is mainly for people who want to go into research in econometrics
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 81
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Unless I decide to do a few Maths modules :P

I have but they said that course is mainly for people who want to go into research in econometrics

LOOL yeah, hopefully we don't get him or we get the bare minimum
Ahh I see :smile: I don't really know much about it :smile:
Hi

I am consdiering applying to LSE for 2014 , to study Geography. It is a subject that i am really passionate about. Anyone else consdering applying for Geography ?
Reply 83
I'm interested in studying maths with economics at LSE. Does anyone know if LSE count Maths and Further Maths as 2 separate subjects or as one subject? This would effect whether I do 3 A2s or 4.
Original post by NLoR
I'm interested in studying maths with economics at LSE. Does anyone know if LSE count Maths and Further Maths as 2 separate subjects or as one subject? This would effect whether I do 3 A2s or 4.

Maths and FM are accepted as 2 subjects of 3 for Maths with Economics :smile:
Reply 85
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Maths and FM are accepted as 2 subjects of 3 for Maths with Economics :smile:

Are you sure of this? So doing maths, further maths and physics at A2 will be fine?
Are you applying to LSE? :smile:
Original post by NLoR
Are you sure of this? So doing maths, further maths and physics at A2 will be fine?
Are you applying to LSE? :smile:

Yes I'm sure it was mentioned at the open day, for Maths and/with Economics it's fine but for straight Economics you'd need 4 A2s.
Yes also applying to LSE :yes:
Reply 87
Original post by NLoR

Boy Wonder answered your question hehe :smile: but I'm applying for the same course! :biggrin:
Reply 88
I'm addicted to Economics and other Econs-related majors such as Accounting and Finance as well. It has been my endless dream to get a place to the LSE to read Economics/Accounting-Finance. I'm currently taking Double Maths, Economics and Chemistry.

Nice to meet all of you guys and hope this thread would be useful for LSE applicants this year:smile:
Reply 89
Original post by CD315
I wouldn't say that. I don't think my PS was as good as it could have been for them.

Do you have "enough" extra curricular activities??? Did you write a PS that follows what they call "LSE format"??? I mean the reason for getting rejected may not be your grades, it'd probably sth else like PS or activities you know.
Reply 90
Original post by trangvu
Do you have "enough" extra curricular activities??? Did you write a PS that follows what they call "LSE format"??? I mean the reason for getting rejected may not be your grades, it'd probably sth else like PS or activities you know.

What's the "LSE format"?

I personally don't think extra curricular activities have much bearing, and generally you should write a few lines-a paragraph on them and you'll be fine. Mainly about what you learnt from a few extra curriculars and work experiences, rather than just what you have done and how many activities etc.

Another good thing to do is try and incorporate your work experiences and extra curriculars in context as you go through the personal statement. Many people leave a paragraph at the end for extra curriculars, and if well written there's no problem with that and it can be good, but if you link your experiences and activities with your interests and work then that'll be great.
Reply 91
Original post by trangvu

Don't be so patronising. I had enough - especially for maths. They don't care about ECs unless they're directly related to maths/economics, and I had those. I probably just didn't present it well enough.
Reply 92
Hi thought I'd add myself to the mix, I'm thinking of applying for Law, I'm doing the IB and got 36 on my mock exams and 37 on my end of term this year without TOK and Extended Essay, with those I should easily be able to get the 38 points needed
Reply 93
Original post by CD315
Don't be so patronising. I had enough - especially for maths. They don't care about ECs unless they're directly related to maths/economics, and I had those. I probably just didn't present it well enough.

I am not patronising. I just intentionally include the word "enough" to see if you have any. I am not sure if they have to be related to Econs/Maths since my friend got in and she mentioned non-related to Econs activities: cooking and dancing. I have another friend who had very competitive grade but did not mention any activities and he didn't get in. It may be one of the main reasons he got rejected!
Reply 94
Original post by slayer12
What's the "LSE format"?

I personally don't think extra curricular activities have much bearing, and generally you should write a few lines-a paragraph on them and you'll be fine. Mainly about what you learnt from a few extra curriculars and work experiences, rather than just what you have done and how many activities etc.

Another good thing to do is try and incorporate your work experiences and extra curriculars in context as you go through the personal statement. Many people leave a paragraph at the end for extra curriculars, and if well written there's no problem with that and it can be good, but if you link your experiences and activities with your interests and work then that'll be great.

My counsellor told me the activities part would make up 30% of the PS. Actually it is important to me.
Reply 95
What is lse format?
Anyone from India's CBSE curriculum applying for Actuarial Science?...
Hoping to study International Relations; went to the open day and absolutely fell in love with the uni even more! Now I'll just need to bury myself in my books for the next 10 months :tongue:
Deleted.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 99
Hj
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest