Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Just god my student finance calender watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for student finance for my first year at University of Nottinhgham and the calender I have just received seems really unsatisfying.

So my household income is currently ~£33,000 as my mother is unemployed.
    My brother is also currently at university.
    And I have received £5,080 loan with absolutely 0 grant.

My accommodation for Nottingham University is £5,100 for the year. I will literally have no money at all unless I get a job, and still i'll barely get by. It will also be hard to get a job, but that's not the point.

The point is that I should at least be receiving some sort of grant as my father can't support both me and my brother at the same time. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do?

ReputationRep:
    Did you ask for your household income to be taken into account?
    I would suggest definitely getting a job. I worked through this first year since I don't get enough support.

ReputationRep:
    Is it federal loan or Private loan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ali.s1002)
    I've applied for student finance for my first year at University of Nottinhgham and the calender I have just received seems really unsatisfying.

So my household income is currently ~£33,000 as my mother is unemployed.
    My brother is also currently at university.
    And I have received £5,080 loan with absolutely 0 grant.

My accommodation for Nottingham University is £5,100 for the year. I will literally have no money at all unless I get a job, and still i'll barely get by. It will also be hard to get a job, but that's not the point.

The point is that I should at least be receiving some sort of grant as my father can't support both me and my brother at the same time. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do?
    I really think you are entitled to a grant...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Liberty)
    I really think you are entitled to a grant...
    I thought I would be but nothing is shown on the calender:/

(Original post by arson_fire)
    Student loan calculator shows £4583 loan and £1854 grant for 33k income living away from home (i.e £6437). Sure you filled the form in correctly?
    The form asked for details from 2011-2012 which my mother had a part-time job, bringing our total income to 43k.

(Original post by -Liberty)
    Did you ask for your household income to be taken into account?
    I would suggest definitely getting a job. I worked through this first year since I don't get enough support.
    I do plan on getting a job ofcourse but my loan should atleast cover my accomodation?

ReputationRep:

The form asked for details from 2011-2012 which my mother had a part-time job, bringing our total income to 43k.

If you phone SF, I'm pretty sure you can ask for a form for this year. It's only for if your financial circumstances have changed a lot in the last year. I'm pretty sure you'd qualify.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lascelles)
    If you phone SF, I'm pretty sure you can ask for a form for this year. It's only for if your financial circumstances have changed a lot in the last year. I'm pretty sure you'd qualify.
    Just to add to this if the salary has dropped by 15% you can ask for your current year income to be assessed. The form came out online today that you have to print and send off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lascelles)

(Original post by AmberT)
    Just to add to this if the salary has dropped by 15% you can ask for your current year income to be assessed. The form came out online today that you have to print and send off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sweet thanks alot! I have one final question if you might be able to answer, I could find the answer anywhere else.
    We are spending alot on house repairs this year, which comes under expenses, will this contribute to the calculated amount of loan?

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Sweet thanks alot! I have one final question if you might be able to answer, I could find the answer anywhere else.
    We are spending alot on house repairs this year, which comes under expenses, will this contribute to the calculated amount of loan?

Thanks again!
    Not really, household repairs are an expense that is supposed to come from your parent's income, it shouldn't have any effect on how much money you will receive. You should qualify for more money than you have been outlined though, so do fill in the form suggested by the people above, you'll definitely be better off for doing it!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.