Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would appreciate any help with regards this GCSE Edexcel Business Studies question: 'Using the data, evaluate which of the four countries has the highest standard of living'.

The data refers to some graphs, which I will discuss below because I can't upload them right now. There are 4 countries being referred to: Nigeria, Kazakhstan, Thailand, and Ukraine - but it definitely appears that it's either Kazakhstan or Thailand which has the highest standard of living. The data shows the following:

1) Thailand has a slightly higher literacy rate vs. Kazakhstan.
    2) Thailand has a much higher GDP, but a much lower GDP per capita vs. Kazakhstan.

I assumed this meant Kazakhstan has the higher standard of living - here's why:

Thailand has a low GDP per capita relative to its much higher GDP suggesting it has a large population in which the people earn relatively little – the average standard of living is low. In contrast, Kazakhstan has a high GDP per capita relative to its much lower GDP, implying Kazakhstan has a small population but in which the people have greater incomes: the amount of goods and services they can buy with their income in a year is higher than in Thailand, and so it follows that Kazakhstan’s population's standard of living is higher than Thailand’s. Furthermore, whilst Thailand does have the highest life expectancy rate – from which it can be inferred that its population has the highest quality of life and assumingly standard of living – it is important to note that Thailand’s life expectancy rate is only marginally greater than Kazakhstan's. Overall the data suggests Kazakhstan has the highest standard of living.

But I'm not sure if this response is actually right or just waffle, since I don't have the answers. Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    wtf we don't learn any of that stuff in aqa business

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.