Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've just inherited a large sum of money so the world is my oyster this summer. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea where to go. I've got around 3 months from my last exam to the start of university. I've been talking around travelling for the last year but just haven't had the funds.

I have no idea where to go- I've only ever been to France, Spain and North America. I love elephants more than anything in the world so going to see them in Thailand/Asia would be amazing. Has anyone worked in a conservation for three weeks without it being a rip off?

I'm not sure if I should go alone or with a good friend. I'm quite happy doing things on my own as i'm used to my own company. What parts of Africa are safe enough for two 18-year-old females?

How do you plan a trip around South/East Asia? So many questions and I have no idea where to start.

Any advice welcomed.

ReputationRep:
    Any ideas?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I thought you meant that you surprisingly found loads of money on your oyster card :zomg:!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annuhlees)
    I have no idea where to go. I've got around 3 months from my last exam to the start of university. I've been talking around travelling for the last year but just haven't had the funds.

I have no idea where to go- I've only ever been to France, Spain and North America. I love elephants more than anything in the world so going to see them in Thailand/Asia would be amazing. Has anyone worked in a conservation for three weeks without it being a rip off?

I'm not sure if I should go alone or with a good friend. I'm quite happy doing things on my own as i'm used to my own company. What parts of Africa are safe enough for two 18-year-old females?

How do you plan a trip around South/East Asia? So many questions and I have no idea where to start.

Any advice welcomed.
    How much?

ReputationRep:
    How much money?

ReputationRep:
    Enough to buy a subscription with TSR?

ReputationRep:
    What parts of Africa are safe enough for two 18 year old girls? Botswana tends to be one of the more peaceful and calm countries on the continent, still have a degree of caution though and use common sense. Popular destinations such as Kenya and South Africa are more troublesome and there is a degree of risk from crime, but once again use common sense and stay with a trusted guide and you'll be fine. You should stay clear of backpacking though, can run into a lot of problems.

ReputationRep:
    Any ideas?

Take me with you (all expenses paid for by yourself). I'd be very little trouble..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharp910sh)
    How much money?
    Well.. not loads but enough for now. I've inherited 6 grand

ReputationRep:

Any advice welcomed.
    It all depends on how much you've got .
    People have different ideas for how much is "large sum of money"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    What parts of Africa are safe enough for two 18 year old girls? Botswana tends to be one of the more peaceful and calm countries on the continent, still have a degree of caution though and use common sense. Popular destinations such as Kenya and South Africa are more troublesome and there is a degree of risk from crime, but once again use common sense and stay with a trusted guide and you'll be fine. You should stay clear of backpacking though, can run into a lot of problems.
    I'm thinking about sticking to South-East Asia as I think it will be more safe. My step dad lived out there for years and I heard some horrible stories; i'm sure my parents wouldn't allow me to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bahjat93)
    It all depends on how much you've got .
    People have different ideas for how much is "large sum of money"
    two hundred quid...

Na, just kidding, i've got 6 grand to play with

ReputationRep:
    two hundred quid...

Na, just kidding, i've got 6 grand to play with

Don't spend it all, keep at least £1000 in savings as its always important to have backup cash in the bank.

ReputationRep:
    Well.. not loads but enough for now. I've inherited 6 grand
    Thats a lot. You can go on a serious adventure with that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexh42)
    Don't spend it all, keep at least £1000 in savings as its always important to have backup cash in the bank.
    I think i'm gonna get an ISA to put it away for a rainy day.

I've have a bad few years and things are finally looking up; i'm gonna make this a summer to remember!

ReputationRep:
    Luxury problem, eh?

6k is good for about 10-14 months of developing world travel, all-in, or 2-4 months in Europe.

http://www.travelindependent.info/

The above link is literally a dummies' guide to travelling, all aspects of - better than any guide you can buy. Read it ALL and you'll then be able to ask meaningful specific questions that people might be able to help you with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharp910sh)
    Thats a lot. You can go on a serious adventure with that!
    That's what I thought then I remembered that i'm on TSR and that's probably nothing to alot of people

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about sticking to South-East Asia as I think it will be more safe. My step dad lived out there for years and I heard some horrible stories; i'm sure my parents wouldn't allow me to go.
    You'll probably be better off in going to SE Asia, but Africa is a beautiful continent just a shame about its condition.

ReputationRep:
    Go to Nigeria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spontogical)
    Go to Nigeria.
    Are you Nigerian?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.