Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What will Thatcher be remembered for? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Poll Tax. Attempts to crush unions. Pit closures. Wapping. Class Warfare. Record unemployment. Mass poverty. Hillsborough cover up. Or being friends with the freak Saville maybe?

ReputationRep:
    Ice Cream!
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Depends how far into the future you mean. It's going to potentially be a century before she can be looked at objectively, there's such huge bias whichever way you look at her. The current conservative government will desperately try and turn her into a martyr, so we're due another generation of people brainwashed into defending her and of course a plethora of people who hate her unconditionally. Perhaps she'll be remembered most for the controversy she caused.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think that her legacy in foreign policy will be remembered most, which in my opinion was the positive aspect of her time in office.

ReputationRep:
    The Miners Strike; & Privatization and selling off industries...

ReputationRep:
    As my gran likes to say, "she sold the family silver."

I think that's her way of saying privatising all the great British industries was the worst long term move possible. Which is evident today really. Short term mega-bucks just so foreign firms can buy out most of the country.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuy117)
    Poll Tax. Attempts to crush unions. Pit closures. Wapping. Class Warfare. Record unemployment. Mass poverty. Bloody Sunday. Hillsborough cover up. Or being friends with the freak Saville maybe?
    Saving Britain! (from the unions! )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stuart_aitken)

I think that's her way of saying privatising all the great British industries was the worst long term move possible. Which is evident today really. Short term mega-bucks just so foreign firms can buy out most of the country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Foreign Firms buying out most of the country? Its called competition, you know the thing that allows us to get competitive prices, create jobs, and not allow the state a monopoly on any industry.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she'll mostly be remembered for the horrific bias surrounding her and the utterly moronic state of a lot of her critics :mmm:

To add to the topic though, I imagine the Poll Tax will be a big thing, as will the Falklands, which ever side you come down on the miners and the Unions were a key thing during her premiership. Then there's the more social stuff, like the council houses and so on. Much of her premiership utterly divides people, I think that's what she'll be remembered most for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will Lucky)
    Foreign Firms buying out most of the country? Its called competition, you know the thing that allows us to get competitive prices, create jobs, and not allow the state a monopoly on any industry.
    It's called profits going elsewhere. Y'know how the British empire got so rich by plundering from other countries? Well now other countries are plundering from us..! And even the domestic organisations have an unfair monopoly. So what if most rail companies are British.... their profits are for them alone. Prices are sky high because THEY want to profit. It's not for us. The same goes for every publicly owner industry that was sold off. As soon as something becomes a private interest, it only benefits the people who own it. Which is why is was better when the state owned more public necessities. Hell, we all talk of how bad it would be yo privatise the nhs. Well, what's the difference between that and a private rail service, energy sector, or heavy industry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuy117)
    Poll Tax.

almost certainly - rates and a 'poll tax' are both the wrong way to deal with the issue, local income tax or radical slimming down of Local authorities and direct grant from Central govt. ( with services put into national managed services - e.g. all the roads etc go the highways agency , social services regionalised and managed separately from the Political influence of LAs, schools manage themselves as seen under academy / GM status, libraries and museums etc managed as trusts charities and recieve direct grants)

Attempts to crush unions.
    the Power balance between Unions and Employers was out of kilter, combined with the unions being over politicised and supported by external actors to attempt to destabilise the legitimate government

Pit closures.
    some were simply not viable, others ended up closed because of loss of demand due to the strike and reliable imported supplies, others closed because of engineering / geological issues complicated by prolonged period of not being worked as Arthur had his little folly.

Wapping.
    domestic terrorism by the union movement again

Class Warfare.
    anarcho-syndicalism led

Record unemployment.
    as opposed to state subsidy of the production of a product no one wants
    Mass poverty.
    and there was no poverty under labour ? also poverty is in some cases a result of the fecklessness of individuals

Bloody Sunday.
    check your dates dear

Hillsborough cover up.
    so Mrs thatcher was the silver commander at the ground ? or directly involved in the immediate investigation ?

ReputationRep:
    It's called profits going elsewhere. Hell, we all talk of how bad it would be yo privatise the nhs. Well, what's the difference between that and a private rail service, energy sector, or heavy industry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Who cares if profits are going elsewhere, they are being invested back into the economy. Anyone who claims all profits should immediately go into British hands and then makes comparisons with the British Empire on that front is nothing more than a nationalist.

And as for the NHS that must remain nationalized because the difference between the NHS and those industries is the NHS actually keeps people alive.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares if profits are going elsewhere, they are being invested back into the economy. Anyone who claims all profits should immediately go into British hands and then makes comparisons with the British Empire on that front is nothing more than a nationalist.

And as for the NHS that must remain nationalized because the difference between the NHS and those industries is the NHS actually keeps people alive.
    I have no idea what you're on about. A public service is a public service. All the things I mentioned are for the good of the population. Not any more though because they're now privately owned so people are squeezed for every last penny. The energy and public transport sectors are UTTERLY monopolised. Competition has not made them cheaper at all. As soon as one company gets bigger than the rest, they have control and can do what they like. The public can't do a thing because it's not a national asset any more. Don't try telling me we'd be living in tougher times if the government still ran everything. Tinese are tougher because all the resources are going one way - into the hands of the big fat individual businesses who have huge stakes in everything right at the top. Nothing is for the good of the people. Hah! How can you think that?! That's not what capitalism is about!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    with the exception of the utilities and railway infrastructure what 'great british industries ' did she privatise ? ( and rail infrastructure is back in state ownership after 'Railtrack' became failtrack)

the Coal mining industry was bloated and had artificially maintained numbers of non viable pits - without the strike there would have been contraction but there would still be more pits open - working reserves of high quality coal in thick seams that are still there

BT the network operator it could be argued might have prosposed as state owned but at arms length

British leyland - the decent bits prospered - JLR, Leyland trucks ( who built all the LF and the vast majority of CF trucks sold under the Daf brand)

BMW deliberately killed off Rover cars to get the names ( MINI) and technology ( from Land rover) it wanted ( even if it did eventually find itself having to divest itself of Land rover to Ford PAG > JLR ), Rover cars in the honda Partnership and under BAe proved it could be run successfully .

Leyland bus again continued to be successful once unfettered from BL as did Optare etc ...

what has to be remembered is that the nationalised industries were nationalised due to inept management and poor industrial relations - not out of any great want to preserve assets and infrastructure

ReputationRep:
    No milk for children at nursary

ReputationRep:
    Don't try telling me we'd be living in tougher times if the government still ran everything.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Course it would, problem with state monopolies is they don't invest, they don't innovate. They don't get the newest technology, the only thing they care about is how to best secure the vote of this employees.

ReputationRep:
    Course it would, problem with state monopolies is they don't invest, they don't innovate. They don't get the newest technology, the only thing they care about is how to best secure the vote of this employees.
    We're gonna have to agree to disagree here. I think private ownership, for all the potential innovation, totally screws the public by the fact that the primary interest is profit for the owners.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We're gonna have to agree to disagree here. I think private ownership, for all the potential innovation, totally screws the public by the fact that the primary interest is profit for the owners.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm fair enough, agree to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    Great video here showing how capitalism effects wealth distribution. Quite phenomenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slTF...e_gdata_player

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    She will be remembered foremost for being the first female Prime Minister, the rest is down to political opinion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.