Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

My laptop is super laggy when I stream. Whether it be youtube, netflix or anything like that it is just so laggy.

The sound is fine but the picture is a few seconds behind and is so annoying to watch.

Are there any ideas on how I could fix this?

My current set up is:

Acer Aspire 5542
    Windows 8 (64 bit)
    AMD Turion(tm) dual core mobile M500 2.2Ghz
    4GB Ram
    500GB Storage

It is pretty old but I'm too poor to upgrade yet lol

ReputationRep:
    How is your Internet connection? Are you using Wifi? How close are you to your modem when using your wifi? Id say try upgrading your ram and see how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think I can upgrade my ram - 4gb is max.

Im connected via wire and my net speed is 3mbps so not great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramie)
    I dont think I can upgrade my ram - 4gb is max.

Im connected via wire and my net speed is 3mbps so not great
    That's probably why then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namige)
    I dont think that is it, as my bro has a newer laptop his streams fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramie)
    I dont think that is it, as my bro has a newer laptop his streams fine
    Your laptop doesn't seem too old to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namige)
    That's not the problem, bad internet doesn't make for laggy internet, thanks to that thing called buffering.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My old Dell used to do that if only if it was too hot, reckon thats the problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Durantula)
    My old Dell used to do that if only if it was too hot, reckon thats the problem?
    It does get really really hot.

Im not sure of the problem but its so annoying lol I have been trying to watch suits on Netflixs and its impossible to enjoy.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ramie)
    It does get really really hot.

Im not sure of the problem but its so annoying lol I have been trying to watch suits on Netflixs and its impossible to enjoy.
    That could be it then. My Laptop used to get super hot then start lagging so I'd have to raise it up on a book or something to cool it down haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Durantula)
    That could be it then. My Laptop used to get super hot then start lagging so I'd have to raise it up on a book or something to cool it down haha.
    Lol thats what I have been doing! It has been over heating since day one, 4 plus years of overheating must finally be taking its toll!

ReputationRep:
    Is this an old laptop that you've put windows 8 on recently? as you say its 4 years?

You maybe have installed lots of bits and bobs and you may have lots of programs (e.g. skype) running in 'standby', you may have some browser toolbars and extensions that have snuck in - maybe even a virus or other sneeky things that have piggybacked their way in.

If you leave the computer idle after boot up and let it settle, check task manager, is the cpu staying nice and steady low 1 -5 % or is it spikey and in the 30% + zone? Also is the disk activity light rapidly flashing constantly or does it settle down quite nicely if you leave it be?

I have virus checkers on my pc that like to randomly do a virus scan in ninja mode therefore spining the disk and munching up resorces.

Also windows updates might be running in background, or other programs updating/installing updates.

Id say try and make sure your software is nice and clean first of all before investigating hardware as it still 'works' just not very fast lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacLean)
    Is this an old laptop that you've put windows 8 on recently? as you say its 4 years?

You maybe have installed lots of bits and bobs and you may have lots of programs (e.g. skype) running in 'standby', you may have some browser toolbars and extensions that have snuck in - maybe even a virus or other sneeky things that have piggybacked their way in.

If you leave the computer idle after boot up and let it settle, check task manager, is the cpu staying nice and steady low 1 -5 % or is it spikey and in the 30% + zone? Also is the disk activity light rapidly flashing constantly or does it settle down quite nicely if you leave it be?

I have virus checkers on my pc that like to randomly do a virus scan in ninja mode therefore spining the disk and munching up resorces.

Also windows updates might be running in background, or other programs updating/installing updates.

Id say try and make sure your software is nice and clean first of all before investigating hardware as it still 'works' just not very fast lol.
    Yeah I put windows 8 on myself not long ago. I think it was abit laggy on windows 7 but not as much as it is on windows 8. I might downgrade soon to see if that helps.

Idle my cpu is about 7%-12%.

I dont have any junk programs, I use revo uninstaller to uninstall my programs so no junk files remain.

I just think the laptop is coming to the end sadly lol When I play football manager and listen to itunes the song playing starts going nuts, sounds like a scratched cd being played.

ReputationRep:
    Well it sounds like your ontop of the software side of things so i guess you may be right.

Give the insides a blow with one of those air blast cans encase its just full of dust causing it to overheat.

If that dont help then i guess something inside is ****ed.

I know this stuttering thing your on about though, i think laptops seem to get these weird anomoly probs more than desktops due to them getting bumped around all the time. Pretty hard to pinpoint the cause other than swap components till it goes away, and then you might as well buy a new one :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Either the graphics card is kapput
    or maybe it's made out of chewing gum or something

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.