Argh! Boyfriend too 'mushy'... Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I'm not an extremely emotional or affectionate person. My boyfriend, however, is. On MSN he's always telling me he loves me and that he wants to cuddle me. When we're together he is always kissing and hugging me. I do like him, but this constant mushiness is starting to irritate me! It seems really corny and cheesy sometimes. I just want a mature, balanced relationship with the right amount of affection. I know everyone will tell me to talk to him, but I'm scared he'll think I don't like him enough and get upset. How can I gently discourage him from being so over-the-top?
Note
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You're right about everyone telling you to talk to him. Communication is the key, just tell him how you feel and see if things clear up. Make sure he realises you don't like it as soon as he does it as well - but don't be too mean or put-offy.
Anonymous #2
Report 12 years ago
I sometimes find this a problem. A swift slapping away (not violently!) or roll of the eyes works wonders. I also say things like "no more kisses till we get to the end of the road" etc or it takes FOREVER to get anywhere.
*titanium*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Just stop showering! problem solved!
Schmokie Dragon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Talking is best. If you start trying to "discourage" him without talking about the issue, he will quickly assume you are giving him the cold shoulder.

or you could watch a mushy movie and then pull faces whenever the characters start getting squishy. Is he perceptive enough to pick up on it?

Fact: men love cuddles.
Note
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
Fact: men love cuddles.
*Nods* But I think by the sounds of it her man is taking it a bit far...
Talon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Atleast he doesnt beat you up.
heatherbee
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm not an extremely emotional or affectionate person. My boyfriend, however, is. On MSN he's always telling me he loves me and that he wants to cuddle me. When we're together he is always kissing and hugging me. I do like him, but this constant mushiness is starting to irritate me! It seems really corny and cheesy sometimes. I just want a mature, balanced relationship with the right amount of affection. I know everyone will tell me to talk to him, but I'm scared he'll think I don't like him enough and get upset. How can I gently discourage him from being so over-the-top?
how long have you and your boyfriend been together? its just i know that my ex was very OTT at the start but things settled down a bit as we got further into the relationship. he may just be so happy to be with you that he wants to show your how he is feeling inside. if your not happy with the situation tho it is best to talk things through, you have both got to want the same thing from a relationship for it to work, otherwise one of you will be miserable.
md_red_uk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Talk To Him.
royal888
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
dump him. LOL
kobrakai
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Seriously, tell him. He may not realise that it's making you uncomfortable.
keenya2006
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Can I have your boyfriend. I find guys arent affectionate enough
Minstrel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
dump him
Refused
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is it me or is there a growing amount of these kind of threads? to the OP, i do agree that there should be some kind of balance in the relationship and the best way to resolve this is letting him know what you you've just said in this thread.
white_haired_wizard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by keenya2006)
Can I have your boyfriend. I find guys arent affectionate enough
I'm available
Phonicsdude
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Last time I date peas/
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's official: I don't want my eyes anymore.
Drogue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
While communication is the key, I can't help but see this end in a break-up. You can't really 'discourage' an affectionate guy to be less affectionate, it's just a case of mismatched affection. As you said, he's an extremely affectionate person, and you're not.
FlyingIsis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
slap with sharp stick
repeat if needed
xXMessedUpXx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
*wishes her bf was a little more mushy at times"

am i lucky in the fact i have a bf who hates public displays of affection?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (541)
37.73%
No - but I will (112)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (97)
6.76%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (684)
47.7%

Watched Threads