Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Share your travelling experiences/stories! Watch

ReputationRep:
    There's a nice new wiki area set up for people to update with descriptions of their travelling.

If people post up about their travels we could get a good TSR database going of places that students like to visit and details of the trips.

I've gone first here.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...outh_East_Asia

I just used a simple template of
    "- where I went
    - what was great
    - what was a letdown
    - how much you need to do it bare bones/living comfortably/living like a king
    - tips on being prepared"

And here's a quick guide to getting started.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...el_Experiences

ReputationRep:
    I went to Italy, Venice 2nd March to 9th March.

The culture was great the churches was amazing, the canals and water boats, incredibly clean, the language is beautiful and excellent scenery providing many eye candy sites.. Shame my wallet was bleeding badly due to lack of money.

My only let down staying in the city for too long and spending 180 euro's on this watch for my dad, spoiling myself with expensive food and buying mundane crap such as a fountain pen set, leather bag, even more mundane crap like a cheap armband that snapped as soon as I touched it. Also don't buy too many masks, your looking at 20-200 euro's each depending on how extravagant they are.

The bright colours of the masks and the variations in the designs are deceiving. I felt like a Pokemon trainer, gotta catch em' all!

The city became stale after a while and I wish I visited Rome for a day just to prevent me from visiting every cool thing about Venice, I ended up walking aimlessly during my 3rd day.

Tips: Bring A LOT of money. I took 730 euro's, had 70 euro's on my 6th day, spent it all on the last day. It is expensive, I brought a marinated salmon with a coke for 20 euro's. I felt sick after due to the fish just tasting greasy but it was nice while it lasted.

Purchase art from the local artists, they are really good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willbean)
    I went to Italy, Venice 2nd March to 9th March.

The culture was great the churches was amazing, the canals and water boats, incredibly clean, the language is beautiful and excellent scenery providing many eye candy sites.. Shame my wallet was bleeding badly due to lack of money.

My only let down staying in the city for too long and spending 180 euro's on this watch for my dad, spoiling myself with expensive food and buying mundane crap such as a fountain pen set, leather bag, even more mundane crap like a cheap armband that snapped as soon as I touched it. Also don't buy too many masks, your looking at 20-200 euro's each depending on how extravagant they are.

The bright colours of the masks and the variations in the designs are deceiving. I felt like a Pokemon trainer, gotta catch em' all!

The city became stale after a while and I wish I visited Rome for a day just to prevent me from visiting every cool thing about Venice, I ended up walking aimlessly during my 3rd day.

Tips: Bring A LOT of money. I took 730 euro's, had 70 euro's on my 6th day, spent it all on the last day. It is expensive, I brought a marinated salmon with a coke for 20 euro's. I felt sick after due to the fish just tasting greasy but it was nice while it lasted.

Purchase art from the local artists, they are really good.
    Nicely written but the idea was to put it onto the TSR wiki instead of a reply here.

The bottom link in my first post will help with making the page.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.