Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    The financial office haven't been much help, neither are the guidance notes I got from the OU.

Basically, started a BSc open degree 2 years ago and transferred 90 credits from another uni. Struggled and was advised to do something else.

Now starting something else and am doing a BA open degree. Does this mean I go on to the new system?

EDIT: it does say on the application form "each qualification must be linked to a module that counts towards your declared transitional undergraduate qualification". Give that they know what I'm doing, I'm confused as to why I've been sent this form.

ReputationRep:
    If you've declared TA for an Open Degree, my understanding is that whether it's a BA or BSc doesn't really happen until you've done the whole degree (or enough of it that they can see which you'll have more of). (I'm doing an Open Degree and it's a toss-up as to which it'll turn out to be, as far as I can tell...) So, my thinking would be that you declared TA for an Open Degree, and are doing an Open Degree, and that's all good. But, in order to remain eligible, you have to meet the study criteria in the fee rules:
    5. You will remain eligible for transitional arrangements if you continue to study a module or modules linked to your transitional qualification(s) during each academic year until 31 August 2017, or if you are given exceptional eligibility under Section E below.
    It's not totally clear from that if it still counts as 'studying a module linked to your transitional qualification' if you fail it/drop out if it halfway through...

My (wholly speculative and not to be relied upon) thinking is that, if you're intending to count the OU study you've done up to now towards your Open degree, and have completed/will complete a module this academic year, you'll be fine to continue at TA rates. If you're starting completely afresh, or don't have any countable study this year, you wouldn't be able to do that under TA. And if it's somewhere in the middle, you need to make it as close as possible to the former scenario rather than the latter, if you want to be in with a shot of arguing that you're still eligible for TA. What have you done so far/what are you planning to do next?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Thanks.

I've just received emails from finance and the course people. They've just told me to cancel my next course. I don't want my computing modules to count any more.

ReputationRep:
    So do they reckon you'll still get TA, or are you switching to the Q-niverse?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.