daz4000
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
is it a crime not being able to spell that well
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes! You hear that knocking on your door?! IT'S THE PIGS! RUN!! RUNN! LEAVE THE FORUM AND NEVER COME BACK!! QUICK! GO NOW!
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by daz4000)
it seems that way on ehre sometimes
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No. Unless it is so bad you can't figure out what someone is trying to say, or it is a word that is really obvious how to spell it.
Amb1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lumpycustard)
it seems that way on ehre sometimes
You did that on purpose didn't you?!
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No, but it depends how bad your spelling is. There's no point in writing anything if no one can understand it.

And if you wrote a job application letter that was full of spelling mistakes, the employer would instantly throw it in the bin. It's up to you.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And of course in a text based forum like this one people have little to judge you on other that what you say and how you say it (and of course your avatar/sig/profile) - and if your spelling and presentation of words (ie how you say it) clouds the meaning of what you are saying then it distorts peoples view of you negatively.

Edit - it's not nice but it's one of the limitations of this form of communication (just as having a strong accent can count for/against you when speaking to people on the telephone)
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
You did that on purpose didn't you?!
oops no i didnt actually...
The_Barman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Cate)
No. Unless it is so bad you can't figure out what someone is trying to say, or it is a word that is really obvious how to spell it.
Yeah but i've seen users have a go for someone spelling something wrong but it was still understandable! i think some users believe because were students we should speak write properly! I say as long as its understandable its fine!!! Fit ya fink bout that???? :rolleyes:
daz4000
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by The_Barman)
Yeah but i've seen users have a go for someone spelling something wrong but it was still understandable! i think some users believe because were students we should speak write properly! I say as long as its understandable its fine!!! Fit ya fink bout that???? :rolleyes:
thanks man at least theres some 1 out there that understands
The_Barman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lol im from Peterhead....if i spoke proper Peterhead i doubt you's would understand. Nah its coz i txt alot and im used to writing REALLY short. I've seen me write txts with no vowels hardly!!
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
*looks sad* i do too...
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Also there is a difference between a spelling error and a typing error which some people on this forum appear to be oblivious to.
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If your spelling is that bad the write your posts in MS Word and use the spellcheck. Then paste them into the forum.

MB
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Gimp)
Also there is a difference between a spelling error and a typing error which some people on this forum appear to be oblivious to.
Fair enough - in a forum, there should be room for this kind of thing. People write quickly and informally in this context, but it's when you get tings lk dis dat rly ps me of lol.

And most of the time it's not because people text so much. Texting is no excuse for putting your words in the wrong order or using "na" instead of "no".
The_Barman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Gimp)
Thats a pain coz i type really fast and dont realise till after i've posted it....sometimes i'll go back and edit it....depends
Dude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm a terrible speller on ere as most of u know. But i only get shouted at for it when it's in the Harry Potter thread and i spell names wrong.
GeneralGrievous
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by The_Barman)
Fit ya fink bout that???? :rolleyes:
you assume everyone understands what that means
The_Barman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dude)
I'm a terrible speller on ere as most of u know. But i only get shouted at for it when it's in the Harry Potter thread and i spell names wrong.
lol
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Trousers)
Fair enough - in a forum, there should be room for this kind of thing. People write quickly and informally in this context, but it's when you get tings lk dis dat rly ps me of lol.

And most of the time it's not because people text so much. Texting is no excuse for putting your words in the wrong order or using "na" instead of "no".
See this is what I don't understand - if you were phoning up somewhere or making a presentation to a group of people you would make an effort to make sure you were understood and getting your point across (by speaking clearly). And yet people don't seem to make a similar effort to type clearly posting on a forum :confused: . It makes me think they don't want to be understood.

Also unless you're accessing this forum using your phone there's no real reason to use txttlk - you have an entire keyboard and ten fingers (not a tiny keypad and a thumb) to type with and there is a very very generous character limit on posts - why bother missing out vowels and making your post harder to read when you could present your words clearly and at the same time improve your typing (a skill that will *always* come in handy)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (178)
46.48%
Take exams next summer (56)
14.62%
Change uni choice through clearing (90)
23.5%
Apply to uni next year instead (41)
10.7%
I'm not applying to university (18)
4.7%

Watched Threads