Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    is it a crime not being able to spell that well

ReputationRep:
    Yes! You hear that knocking on your door?! IT'S THE PIGS! RUN!! RUNN! LEAVE THE FORUM AND NEVER COME BACK!! QUICK! GO NOW!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daz4000)
    it seems that way on ehre sometimes

ReputationRep:
    No. Unless it is so bad you can't figure out what someone is trying to say, or it is a word that is really obvious how to spell it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    it seems that way on ehre sometimes
    You did that on purpose didn't you?!

ReputationRep:
    No, but it depends how bad your spelling is. There's no point in writing anything if no one can understand it.

And if you wrote a job application letter that was full of spelling mistakes, the employer would instantly throw it in the bin. It's up to you.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    And of course in a text based forum like this one people have little to judge you on other that what you say and how you say it (and of course your avatar/sig/profile) - and if your spelling and presentation of words (ie how you say it) clouds the meaning of what you are saying then it distorts peoples view of you negatively.

Edit - it's not nice but it's one of the limitations of this form of communication (just as having a strong accent can count for/against you when speaking to people on the telephone)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    You did that on purpose didn't you?!
    oops no i didnt actually...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    No. Unless it is so bad you can't figure out what someone is trying to say, or it is a word that is really obvious how to spell it.
    Yeah but i've seen users have a go for someone spelling something wrong but it was still understandable! i think some users believe because were students we should speak write properly! I say as long as its understandable its fine!!! Fit ya fink bout that???? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Barman)
    Yeah but i've seen users have a go for someone spelling something wrong but it was still understandable! i think some users believe because were students we should speak write properly! I say as long as its understandable its fine!!! Fit ya fink bout that???? :rolleyes:
    thanks man at least theres some 1 out there that understands

ReputationRep:
    Lol im from Peterhead....if i spoke proper Peterhead i doubt you's would understand. Nah its coz i txt alot and im used to writing REALLY short. I've seen me write txts with no vowels hardly!!

ReputationRep:
    *looks sad* i do too...

ReputationRep:
    Also there is a difference between a spelling error and a typing error which some people on this forum appear to be oblivious to.

ReputationRep:
    If your spelling is that bad the write your posts in MS Word and use the spellcheck. Then paste them into the forum.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Also there is a difference between a spelling error and a typing error which some people on this forum appear to be oblivious to.
    Fair enough - in a forum, there should be room for this kind of thing. People write quickly and informally in this context, but it's when you get tings lk dis dat rly ps me of lol.

And most of the time it's not because people text so much. Texting is no excuse for putting your words in the wrong order or using "na" instead of "no".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Thats a pain coz i type really fast and dont realise till after i've posted it....sometimes i'll go back and edit it....depends

ReputationRep:
    I'm a terrible speller on ere as most of u know. But i only get shouted at for it when it's in the Harry Potter thread and i spell names wrong.

(Original post by The_Barman)
    Fit ya fink bout that???? :rolleyes:
    you assume everyone understands what that means

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I'm a terrible speller on ere as most of u know. But i only get shouted at for it when it's in the Harry Potter thread and i spell names wrong.
    lol
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Trousers)
    Fair enough - in a forum, there should be room for this kind of thing. People write quickly and informally in this context, but it's when you get tings lk dis dat rly ps me of lol.

And most of the time it's not because people text so much. Texting is no excuse for putting your words in the wrong order or using "na" instead of "no".
    See this is what I don't understand - if you were phoning up somewhere or making a presentation to a group of people you would make an effort to make sure you were understood and getting your point across (by speaking clearly). And yet people don't seem to make a similar effort to type clearly posting on a forum :confused: . It makes me think they don't want to be understood.

Also unless you're accessing this forum using your phone there's no real reason to use txttlk - you have an entire keyboard and ten fingers (not a tiny keypad and a thumb) to type with and there is a very very generous character limit on posts - why bother missing out vowels and making your post harder to read when you could present your words clearly and at the same time improve your typing (a skill that will *always* come in handy)

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.