Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    See this is what I don't understand - if you were phoning up somewhere or making a presentation to a group of people you would make an effort to make sure you were understood and getting your point across (by speaking clearly). And yet people don't seem to make a similar effort to type clearly posting on a forum :confused: . It makes me think they don't want to be understood.

Also unless you're accessing this forum using your phone there's no real reason to use txttlk - you have an entire keyboard and ten fingers (not a tiny keypad and a thumb) to type with and there is a very very generous character limit on posts - why bother missing out vowels and making your post harder to read when you could present your words clearly and at the same time improve your typing (a skill that will *always* come in handy)

Exactly. People should be able to communicate in their own language by a very young age, and should understand how important it is to make themselves understood.

Getting frustrated (and crying or lashing out) in arguments is usually a case of being unable to get your point across. If everyone's speech and writing was a bit more lucid they might be calmer and happier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    See this is what I don't understand - if you were phoning up somewhere or making a presentation to a group of people you would make an effort to make sure you were understood and getting your point across (by speaking clearly). And yet people don't seem to make a similar effort to type clearly posting on a forum :confused: . It makes me think they don't want to be understood.

Also unless you're accessing this forum using your phone there's no real reason to use txttlk - you have an entire keyboard and ten fingers (not a tiny keypad and a thumb) to type with and there is a very very generous character limit on posts - why bother missing out vowels and making your post harder to read when you could present your words clearly and at the same time improve your typing (a skill that will *always* come in handy)
    Yeah but the forum aint a presentation....i do try to spell properly all the time but occasionally i do it without thinking.....also i see this forum as a txt'n place.....sorta but more visual aswell! (pics etc......)

Everyone's different i suppose!!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by The_Barman)
    Yeah but the forum aint a presentation....i do try to spell properly all the time but occasionally i do it without thinking.....also i see this forum as a txt'n place.....sorta but more visual aswell! (pics etc......)

Everyone's different i suppose!!
    But even sat around with your mates you would want them to understand you - you wouldn't sit there muttering under your breath or speaking a foriegn language.

I'm a self-confessed waffler and an inconsistent speller (some days it will all be perfect and some days it will be gibber). I don't use formal punctuation as much as I use - and ... (and brackets). But I still make an effort to make my posts comprehensible....it isn't a huge challenge and the improvement to my typing skills is well worth it (as side effects goes). There's no tme limit on responding to posts - this is a forum not a chat room.

(ps I'm not having a go but I honestly don't understand why someone would come on a forum to communicate with other people but not put in the tiniest amount of effort to be understood by those other people :confused: )

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha you've got the gremlins...rofl.

Ok Rushda, stop taking so much caffeine...

ReputationRep:
    having poor spelling isnt a problem, it becomes a problem when you spell things poorly because you rush/cant be bothered and the worst is when people miss out all the vowels in a word..its so annoying trying to work out what someones trying to say.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.