Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Opinion of Lady Thatcher watch

• View Poll Results: What is your opinion of Thatcher?
    Favourable
    61.70%
    Unfavourable
    31.91%
    Indifferent
    6.38%

ReputationRep:
    What is your opinion of Thatcher, state your reasons.

Indifferent of her death.

I not happy nor sad. Her leadership and policies did not directly affect me. I like most people on TSR were not even alive to see her reign as PM.

Of her as a PM, favourable.

At a time where women were still considered second-class citizens (and still are in some places unfortunately), being a realistic, 'iron' female leader amongst powerful, influential men commands some sort of respect.

ReputationRep:
    I have a favourable opinion of her, I think she did what needed to be done during her time as Prime Minister as regards the Falklands, Unions etc.

She wasn't flawless, but overall she was good for the country in my opinion and certainly wasn't the idealogically driven, class warfare promoting monster that some try to portray her as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    I have a favourable opinion of her, I think she did what needed to be done during her time as Prime Minister as regards the Falklands, Unions etc.

She wasn't flawless, but overall she was good for the country in my opinion and certainly wasn't the idealogically driven, class warfare promoting monster that some try to portray her as.
    This is my view as well. Of course, there were major losers in this, i.e. the miners. But at the time, it was something that was absolutely necessary in order for Britain to stay competitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexh42)
    What is your opinion of Thatcher, state your reasons.
    Very positive.

She made aspiration rewarding. After all why fight your way to the top just to be taxed up to 98% directly ( before Thatcher the top rate of tax was 60% and the effective tax rate for the rich inculding NI was 83% with an extyra 15% added on if you had investments or savings income!)

ReputationRep:
    Personally indifferent as her PM-ship didn't really have much of a negative or positive impact on me, however I have friends my age whose families and communities were very badly damaged by the policies of her government and they were emotionally scarred as children because of that. I don't think that the damage done to those children was in anyway a fair price to pay for the political reforms enacted, especially as they didn't really actually achieve the economic improvement expected. Thatcher did however severely weaken the umbilical cord between the Labour Party and the Trade Unions and for that she is rightly seen as a Conservative Party heroine.

The seemingly almost universal consensus that she was the 'greatest post-war leader' of this country just shows how strong the cult of personality is in politics. Clement Attlee's reforms were far more radical and managed to survive even Thatcher's attacks on them, she gives him a good run for his money, but definitely doesn't knock him off the top spot.

ReputationRep:
    Favourable. She dragged the unions kicking and screaming out of the 70s.

Regarding the industries she allegedly destroyed, these were already basket cases way beyond repair.

What would anyone else have done, considering these industries were expensive failures?

How is it the government's fault when a national industry costs more to run than it brings in, and it costs more to dig the coal out rather than import from Australia?

Do you, and others like you, stick with a car insurance company that charges you £500 more than another, just to save those people's jobs?

Do you refuse to switch to a cheaper energy supplier because of the effect you leaving British Gas will have on their employees?

Do you heck. You don't throw good money away when you find you can do the same thing for cheaper, you look for the best deal possible and it amazes me that you think a government would be any different.

ReputationRep:
    I admire the fact that she got stuff done. No flaffing about like nowadays, where to do anything you need a Parlimentary commission, a public inquiry, a committee looking into the possibility of setting up a committee about having a committee about investigating whether a committee on the matter is feasible, thirty public consultations, seventeen judicial reviews and a ECHR challenge before anything can be done, then when it's completed nine years late and five hundred million pounds overbudget you have to have an inquiry which after two years and quarter of a billion spent in legal fees determines that no is to blame and one should get fired or be reprimanded but 'lessons need to be learned for the future'.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.