Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thatcher - Why I won't be mourning Watch

ReputationRep:
    Her legacy involves the destruction of communities, the elevation of personal greed over social values and legitimising the exploitation of the weak by the strong.

She led alongside Ronald Reagan the escalation of the Cold War. She introduced cruise missiles to Britain and fought the Falklands war. Her arms deals with Saudi Arabia were notorious.

She created today's housing crisis, she produced the banking crisis, she created the benefits crisis. It was her government that started putting people on incapacity benefits rather than register them as unemployed because the Britain she inherited was broadly at full employment.

Respect for the dead? I didn't respect her when she lived, why should I when she has died?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Why is her fighting the Falklands a bad thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Why is her fighting the Falklands a bad thing...
    It's the way in which she did so.

ReputationRep:
    How so very uninteresting.

ReputationRep:
    Atrocious. I understand your hatred towards the woman, I really do, but was there such a need to announce that you have no respect towards her? The woman is dead. She had loved ones and followers in the UK. If you don't want to respect her or pay your respects to her then don't. Simply keep quiet and go on with your day to day life instead of attacking a dead woman.

Quite frankly some of the lefts comments on these boards in the past few hours have been appalling. Should a left wing icon have passed away and the right so viciously and systematically slaughtered her there would be outrage. Keep your hate to yourself, please.

Besides, I don't see your point of attacking her over the Falklands. The people of them islands celebrate her to this day - she is loved over there like you wouldn't believe. She fought for them islands because they wanted to remain British and do to this day. You can hardly attack her for that.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for telling everyone. We all wanted to know.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Mr Faust)
    And what do you take issue with

ReputationRep:
    And what way might that be?

ReputationRep:
    Her legacy involves the destruction of communities, the elevation of personal greed over social values and legitimising the exploitation of the weak by the strong.

She led alongside Ronald Reagan the escalation of the Cold War. She introduced cruise missiles to Britain and fought the Falklands war. Her arms deals with Saudi Arabia were notorious.

She created today's housing crisis, she produced the banking crisis, she created the benefits crisis. It was her government that started putting people on incapacity benefits rather than register them as unemployed because the Britain she inherited was broadly at full employment.

Respect for the dead? I didn't respect her when she lived, why should I when she has died?
    Thatcher did not lead to the escalation of the Cold War: she was partially responsible for the end of the Cold War. Do not try to criticize someone before you have your facts straight.

ReputationRep:
    Although I'm not a fan of her domestically I think she took the right approach to foreign policy and I'm not entirely sure how someone can have ago at her for defending the Falklands. She hit the Argies hard, and hit them fast which was exactly what they deserved for invading sovereign territory of another state.

ReputationRep:
    Join the queue. (I'm not in it)

She led alongside Ronald Reagan the escalation of the Cold War.
    The escalation of the cold war was necessary to end it.

ReputationRep:

I don't agree with your post. It's content, a lot of it I do agree with. Though not the Falklands.
    But it's basis for existence, the premise on which you post, a need to say it, that's what I take issue with. Many people won't be mourning. But it's the need to say that that annoys me. You might not show respect, but I think it's a sign of being disrespectful.

And which way was that?

Argentina tried to invade British territory. As a responsibility, Britain came to the British Island's aid.

ReputationRep:
    doesn't matter, she's dead and she doesn't care if you care that she's dead because she can't care. And those who are personally hurt are irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    What, with winning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    And what way might that be?
    (Original post by Iamyourfather)
    And which way was that?

Argentina tried to invade British territory. As a responsibility, Britain came to the British Island's aid.
    (Original post by jeddows)
    What, with winning?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a massive fan of her, but I'd have given the order to sink the Belgrano. It forced the Argentinian Navy to stay out of the fight, and reduced the impact of their air power. In any war I'd rather 'enemy' sailors die than our forces.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's pretty well agreed including by a number of Argentine military officials that the sinking was fully legitimate.

ReputationRep:
    She's dead I doubt she needs your sympathy

ReputationRep:
    So you disagree with the entire Falklands because of the sinking of the Belgrano? It's easy to look back at that now and critisise it but frankly it was a judgement call at the time. Some reports said it was heading towards the exclusion zone, some said away from it. A call was made. It was war, people die, c'est a vie. Or rather c'est la guerre.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.