Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you as a Student or Graduate think it is needed to hold a degree to get a job? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Tell me what you think please and why you chose to obtain the degree? thanks

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't think you need a degree to get a job, for example I learnt how to code websites way before I went to University and could just as easy build up a portfolio and apply for jobs and may even get an interview you never know. However I decided to go to University for the experience and to learn even more about web design. I don't regret it and glad I went.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends what job you want as certain careers require you to have a degree

ReputationRep:
    There are three types of job (perhaps)

1. Jobs which need the skill-set implied by a degree.
    2. Jobs which do not need that skill-set.
    3. Jobs which do not need that skill-set but for which the employer will pick someone applying with a degree over someone without.

And the third type is the problem. The over supply of graduates means that a 'graduate job' can today be parsed to mean "one it takes a graduate to get" rather than "one it takes a graduate to do".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielSheen)
    I honestly don't think you need a degree to get a job, for example I learnt how to code websites way before I went to University and could just as easy build up a portfolio and apply for jobs and may even get an interview you never know. However I decided to go to University for the experience and to learn even more about web design. I don't regret it and glad I went.

i understand what you are saying but i just want to know why so many students hold a degree and still get no work, I'm a student myself and i graduate in October an i feel that what i have learnt in my time is nothing but theory there is no basis of implementing on the skills that i need for the job or any help to even gain the skills that are required, i don't no its like a win lose situation, having a degree and then fighting to get a job in the end when there are companies that don't even want to take a risk on a graduate student!!

ReputationRep:
    It entirely depends on what you want to do. I'm now a PhD student, so obviously I need a degree, but the jobs I had between graduating and starting in academia again (3 years) all required that I had a degree in a relevant discipline (policy/training work for several NGOs, and then as a research assistant).

ReputationRep:
    its so true "one it takes a graduate to get" i feel like universities don't help prepare a students mind for the after math of actually achieving their degree but give them false hope that they will because its not that easy talking from experience of having litch every door shut in my face as placement student trying to gain the experience needed but was not given that chance to do so.

how or when do you ever get recognised as dedicated student going for a purpose of achievement on the working world?

ReputationRep:
    Almost no one actually requires a degree. Given the government's emphasis on low paid training for school leavers, it might actually put you at a massive disadvantage to get a degree in the current climate as it well make you ineligible for apprenticeships etc.. For example, why would a company employ a graduate to do administrative work when they could get a school leaver and pay them less than £100 per week?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the job.

ReputationRep:
    Definetly not, for example I think you can get plenty of apprenticeships open for you after a levels in accountancy and certain law firms with a requirement of 280(?) UCAS points. And im sure at some sort of levels, some jobs such as accountancy would rather favor an 21 year old with 3 years of experience in the field than a 21 year old with a lets say first class honors in History?

Of course there's plenty of jobs where a degree is probably gonna be the main route through such as Forensic Science? D:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.