Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When you get off the bus do you say thank you to the driver? Where I live everyone does it as the get off, but when I went to Bristol to visit my cousin, everyone just ignored the driver and made no conversation or anything.

On a side note, does anyone else find it really annoying when people don't pick up their litter on the bus -.- I was coming home from town when the seat across from me had so much litter on it. I've attached a photo and when I took it most of the empty bottles and stuff had fallen on the floor and rolled around by then, but still. The crisps were only half eaten and there was loads left in the packet and it's such a waste, take it with you!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I say thank you. Some people do some people dont

ReputationRep:
    I always say thank you. There's no reason not to be polite and I think it makes the driver feel better.

ReputationRep:
    I don't, no one does in London. I've honestly never seen anyone say thanks to a bus driver.

ReputationRep:
    I get the bus from my village into Bristol sometimes, we all say thank you to the driver and regulars know him by name and chat and stuff, but I don't know about buses within Bristol itself.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone here says thank you as they get off the bus.

The driver always used to ignore me though when I thanked him :dontknow: So glad I don't need to use buses anymore

ReputationRep:
    I've always said thank you when I get off the bus (and there are also many times when I've said it getting on the bus too)... Most people I know say thank you when they get off the bus as well.
    I think some see it as a 'thankless job', if you know what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    Yep I do.

ReputationRep:
    I always say thankyou. And when I'm in a restaurant, I will say thanks when I'm leaving. I pretty much say thanks everywhere I go :/ even clothes shops if there's someone near the door and I've purchased something!

ReputationRep:
    Saying thank you takes no effort, it's just polite to do it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I always say thanks, including when I travel in Bristol. If everyone else wants to be rude then that's their prerogative.

ReputationRep:
    Always.

i'm a londoner and i always say thanks when i get on, and try to give a little wave of the hand as i get off, and i always say thanks if i get off on the front of the bus.
    i don't know, i think bus drivers get a lot of stick from rude passengers and when i say thanks they always smile so i hope it makes them feel a little more appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I say thank you. I don't understand the big city thing either, surely you aren't too busy to say "thanks".
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by yellowcopter)
    I don't, no one does in London. I've honestly never seen anyone say thanks to a bus driver.
    This.

However if I am the last person to get off the bus at the last stop, then I will give a wave.

(Original post by yellowcopter)
    lots of people i know say thanks in london
    but equally, lots and lots and LOTS don't!
    *shrug* i think it's nice to do. they get shouted at so often and stuff

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why I say thank you though, it's just automatic :P like thank you for not crashing? Stopping at my stop? Hah I don't know but everyone where I live says thank you and the driver says thank you back and tells us to have a nice day :P I thought it was just polite and a normal thing to say

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lived in Bristol for pretty much all of my life. I always say thanks, and so do all my family, and most often people do.

Some people don't. I'm sure bus drivers have more to worry about than that, however.

ReputationRep:
    I always say thank you, it doesn't cost to be polite. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Curtosy costs nothing. I aways say thank you. Litterers are a problem everywhere. This sadly must be down to poor parental training. It is the attitude that leads to the comment "Wot you gunna do about it?" if you challenge them when they litter- something else I do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.