Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My and my ex split up a couple of months back. I am the one who thought it was best to split up as I had alot on at the time and we wern't seeing each other due to his working hours. We didn't break up on bad terms with each other and I don't think it's what either one us really wanted.

A couple of days after the split up he said about just taking a break until he got himself sorted out with work and if I was still available see what happens and if not just be friends. During this time we have text each other a bit and kept in contact and he does still seem interested.

A good part of me feels like I have moved on now but I was thinking about asking him would he like to meet for a drink to catch up within the next month to see how I feel when I actually see him. Basically, just wanted some opinions on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My and my ex split up a couple of months back. I am the one who thought it was best to split up as I had alot on at the time and we wern't seeing each other due to his working hours. We didn't break up on bad terms with each other and I don't think it's what either one us really wanted.

A couple of days after the split up he said about just taking a break until he got himself sorted out with work and if I was still available see what happens and if not just be friends. During this time we have text each other a bit and kept in contact and he does still seem interested.

A good part of me feels like I have moved on now but I was thinking about asking him would he like to meet for a drink to catch up within the next month to see how I feel when I actually see him. Basically, just wanted some opinions on this?
    There's nothing wrong with meeting up with an ex but sometimes you feel moved on because they are out of sight, out of mind to some extent. Communicating via texts I don't believe is a good way to see the extent to which you really are over them, but I think delving into meet ups and 'friends' is tricky and can cause a lot of heart ache when you see them if the above is the case. It can set you back a lot.

However, it may be nice to catch up. If I was to go I would go with no thoughts about getting back together yet as just because he wants to meet up doesn't mean he wants to be back together. He obviously still likes you but is it enough to rekindle a relationship? Let him take the lead as he wanted out the first time. Personally, I have done this twice. The first time was hard and realised I needed more time but that was a mixture of things which contributed to me feeling low (not just the ending of a relationship) after meeting up and before meeting up so that was a mistake and I learnt a lot. The second time was a lot better and I actually realised that I was over them as a person and did not feel anything romantic, in fact I thought it was weird to sit and talk in some senses. It felt disconnected and I was trying to make a slightly personal conversation with someone who just felt like a stranger.

(Original post by Rainbows!)
    There's nothing wrong with meeting up with an ex but sometimes you feel moved on because they are out of sight, out of mind to some extent. Communicating via texts I don't believe is a good way to see the extent to which you really are over them, but I think delving into meet ups and 'friends' is tricky and can cause a lot of heart ache when you see them if the above is the case. It can set you back a lot.

However, it may be nice to catch up. If I was to go I would go with no thoughts about getting back together yet as just because he wants to meet up doesn't mean he wants to be back together. He obviously still likes you but is it enough to rekindle a relationship? Let him take the lead as he wanted out the first time. Personally, I have done this twice. The first time was hard and realised I needed more time but that was a mixture of things which contributed to me feeling low (not just the ending of a relationship) after meeting up and before meeting up so that was a mistake and I learnt a lot. The second time was a lot better and I actually realised that I was over them as a person and did not feel anything romantic, in fact I thought it was weird to sit and talk in some senses. It felt disconnected and I was trying to make a slightly personal conversation with someone who just felt like a stranger.
    Thanks for your advice. I wouldn't go thinking we'd be getting back together or anything, I can't even say that's what I want at the moment for sure. I won't rush into anything, just take some time to have a think because like you said I don't want to set myself back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for your advice. I wouldn't go thinking we'd be getting back together or anything, I can't even say that's what I want at the moment for sure. I won't rush into anything, just take some time to have a think because like you said I don't want to set myself back.
    No problem! I hope all goes well for you! Stay strong, it's hard I know and temptation and curiosity can be very powerful but try to remember how far you have already come when making your decision.

Good luck

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.