Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I have decided I would like to take a course in Mathematics and biology. In order to do this I would have to retake AS Mathematics as well as sit A2 Maths, A Level further Mathematics and A Level Biology.
    I was studying (since January) to sit all 3 subjects as 3 full AS Levels this summer as an external candidate. However I have since cancelled these exams and will be sitting them next year so I have a full year to sit them. The reason for this is because I feel I have taken up too much of a workload too soon (I wanted to restart uni asap).
    I have had to cancel resits before due to suffering depression, but now I feel it’s more of a case of taking on too many exams and trying to self teach.
    However I feel I may have brought this on myself to some extent as I have been guilty of chronic procrastination and I am also concerned that I may have given myself too many second chances.

However If I start again next year and re do my A Levels over a 2 year period, i fell as though I have given myself too many chances and I may have given myself an unfair advantage over other people sitting the same course. Although I do plan on being honest with the universities I am applying too when discussing my A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZNadine)
    [FONT=Verdana]
    However If I start again next year and re do my A Levels over a 2 year period, i fell as though I have given myself too many chances and I may have given myself an unfair advantage over other people sitting the same course. Although I do plan on being honest with the universities I am applying too when discussing my A Levels.
    What grade did you get in AS-Maths? Also, what is your GCSE grade?

There are several great universities that offer foundation years in engineering/maths/science. To progress onto maths and biology may be more of a niche though but certainly worth checking and I am sure that it is offered somewhere with a foundation year.

You will study the A-level content in a year, in fact much less than. Usually the GCSE to AS-level is taught first term and then second is AS-A2 and the third term is the A2 stuff bordering 1st year uni. So it will be a lot of work but no more than what you will need to do if you still A-levels again.

You can still apply now for 2013 entry as these courses tend not to fill up just as fast. So considering that you currently plan on sitting A-levels next year, you have nothing to lose in applying for this UCAS cycle. I did expecting no offers and ended up getting a place. Worth a shot.

Just a key point, it is a foundation year, not a foundation degree. You will not get funding with SF for a foundation degree and a follow up BSc. So you will need to make sure it is a 4/5year course with a Year 0/foundation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    What grade did you get in AS-Maths? Also, what is your GCSE grade?
    I Got BB at GCSE Science and I got a D at AS Maths, but I dropped this to do Economics (which I regretted) but I think if I re-sat the AS and then progressed to A2 I would end up with at least a B (that's what happened with my other A Levels)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.