Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, 2 questions:

I hold an offer for Chemical Engineering MEng, and would like to know if it is possible to study abroad in the USA - I'm particularly interested in the University of California - have any Chem Eng students studied abroad there before? Which specific USA unis is it possible to study abroad in for the course? (I have seen the study abroad destinations, but it doesn't say which are out ruled for chemical engineering. Does this mean that I could theoretically apply to any of them? (apart from the ones that specifically say they are for students on other courses)
    I have e-mailed the ChemEng department but they referred me to the study abroad section.

Also, if I do not firm or insure Leeds, but I still meet (not exceed) the grades for the course, is it possible to go into adjustment / clearing and choose Leeds, provided there are spaces on the course?

Thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi - thanks for your questions!

Study Abroad
    Study Abroad is really popular at Leeds, with over 900 students heading out across the world each year! For Chemical Engineering, study abroad is possible, however as the course is already 4 years, it would increase your study time to 5 years. Also, students studying the MEng course only have 6 years to complete their course, so the department want to make you aware that should you wish/need to take time out of your studies, you could potentially run out of time to complete the course (of course, that depends on individual circumstances, but is something to bear in mind)

In terms of where you could study, we've got links with several institutions in the USA, including the University of California. Once you're at Leeds, the Study Abroad office will be able to advice you on the application process, and put you in touch with other students who have studied at there.

Adjustment and Clearing
    Regarding results day, you're only eligible for adjustment if you exceed the grade requirements for your firm choice. Assuming that you met the requirements for your firm and/or insurance choice, the only way to enter through clearing would be to decline both your firm and insurance (therefore placing yourself into clearing) and applying through clearing to universities with vacancies (bearing in mind that you will still need to meet their requirements). It is unlikely that we will have places for the Chemical Engineering MEng available in clearing, and if we do, then the grades required will be the same as the initial offer.

My advice, it's very risky to assume that you'll be able to switch Universities/courses around results day. You should be using the time now to fully research the Universities you're most interested in (including visiting them if possible), and select your firm choice and insurance choice as courses/univeristies that you really want to study at (remmebering that on results, you can't pick and choose between firm and insurance, if you get the grades for your firm - that's where you're heading, you can't decline your firm and accept your insurance).

I hope that information is useful, let me know if you need any more advice.

Best wishes

Amanda

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.