Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi everyone, hope I posted in the right place as I'm pretty new to this site

Basically I have a problem with my parents. At the moment, I'm a first year uni student (19 next month). Since its Easter holidays at uni and my friends have all gone home, I decide to visit home for the first time in 3 months and they still treat me like I'm 4 or something. At the moment, I'm staying at home for a few more days then going back to campus and staying there for 2-3months.

Firstly, they won't let me go anywhere where alcohol could be involved (like clubs bars, nights out with friends etc, I can drink alcohol btw), they both constantly argue at each other for no reason (mum and dad) and they are such pessimists about everything, it's driving me insane. No one at uni so far has pissed me off so much to that extent.

Because I'm 19 next month, I will be planning to have a flat party in my halls at uni. Despite this happening at my flat/room and not at their house, my parents seem to severely oppose this and they said they'll "check up on me that night".

Also, they have invited me for a holiday but I want to decline in favor of seeing some uni friends and hopefully travel places (if I have enough money). They haven

I need advice, please, especially for summer when I gotta move back to my parents house :mad:

Helpful info:
    -my parents are Chinese and strict.
    -My halls is roughly 50-60miles (about 1 hour drive on motorway) from my parents house.
    -I have my dad on fb and I can't remove him as friend otherwise he'll start intimidating me with threats etc
    -I need to stay on good terms with my parents and so can't "ignore them" because although I sorted my student finance this year (for my 2nd year uni), I'm certain that I will need their information again.

sorry for the long post, but I REALLY need advice please, thanks

ReputationRep:
    You can block FB Friends from seeing anything you post. Click the "cog" icon at the top right and select "Privacy Settings". Next to "Who can see your future posts" click Edit. Select "Custom" then "Custom" again. In the "Don't share this with" box, enter your Dad's FB name. "Save Changes", "Close".

Your Dad will then not automatically be able to see anything you post from now on, unless you choose to let him. You can make the occasional post for him to see, so that it just looks like you're not using FB so often. However, beware that he'll still be able to see posts you make on other peoples' FB if they're set to anything other than "Friends Only". If he's like my Mum, he'll be stalking you round those. I eventually Unfriended my Mum and blocked her, then pretended it was some sort of technical problem that I couldn't resolve. Nightmare.

If it's any consolation, my parents still talk to me like I'm 13 and I'm 49. When I came home from uni in the holidays at the age of 19, I used to get sent to bed at 10pm. One night I stayed out after pub closing time (I'd gone round to a friend's house afterwards) and they drove round the local streets looking for me until midnight. Trust me - you aren't alone!

ReputationRep:
    make afake account on fb!!! and definetely decline the offer to go on holidays-you will regret going!

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks for the fb advice everyone
    but i need advice on the other information

(Original post by ce303ce303)
    make afake account on fb!!! and definetely decline the offer to go on holidays-you will regret going!
    yeah I was thinking of declining the offer, but I just wanted more peoples opinions...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.