Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi all,

My laptop is super laggy when I stream. Whether it be youtube, netflix or anything like that it is just so laggy.

The sound is fine but the picture is a few seconds behind and is so annoying to watch.

Are there any ideas on how I could fix this?

My current set up is:

Acer Aspire 5542
    Windows 8 (64 bit)
    AMD Turion(tm) dual core mobile M500 2.2Ghz
    4GB Ram
    500GB Storage

It is pretty old but I'm too poor to upgrade yet lol

Wow dude at least post the graphics chip info!

Okay it's most likely a graphics card issue, and for this head onto AMD's website to download the latest drivers.

- Go onto AMD's website and at the top right HOVER over "Home", then click on "Driver Autodetect"
    - Download the file then run it and you should then be redirected to the relevant driver you need to install!

If you're streaming, it's likely your internet connection. Even the most basic computer will stream a Youtube video on a decent connection without too many problems, and your computer is more than adequate for streaming internet video. I'd look into your internet service provider and ask them why your connection is slow, or maybe buy yourself a new router if your old one is broken.

It's hard to tell over TSR, there are a few things it could be.
    You'll have to go via trial and error and check each solution individually.

First of all with the internet connection suggestion above, that's wrong. If it was the internet connection the video wouldn't be effected alone it would be both video and sound loading slow.

The first suggestion of GPU driver being outdated could be true. This is almost certainly a driver issue or flash issue.
    I'd check to make sure you're GPU driver is up to date, then uninstall flash and install the newest version.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 29, 2013
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.