Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I need some help on differences between Blanche and Stella. Could anyone help me?

ReputationRep:
    What type of differences between the two? i.e. Personality, appearance etc... ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oddities)
    What type of differences between the two? i.e. Personality, appearance etc... ?
    Any would do to be honest, I really need them for an essay

ReputationRep:
    Err... *runs and fetches notes*

You'll have to find some quotes for yourself - I only quoted some things when I was writing up my notes (sorry).

-Stella is straight to the point when speaking (doesn't create anecdotes or doll up her language), whilst Blanche uses 'flowery and poetic' language (and creates them into anecdotes).
    -Stella doesn't want to cause offence 'They're a mixed lot' <- Talking about Stanley I think, whist Blanche isn't afraid to speak her mind.
    -Stella wants to keep herself to herself and doesn't want the whole street to know what's happening, whilst Blanche constantly makes her life seem like an act/ believes her life is a show (see when she shouts fire - I think that's around the middle of the play).
    -Stella 'knows' her place and where she stands in the Kowalski household, but Blanche (more so since she's the visitor) pushes the boundaries --> 'Could I kibitz', and also drinking Stanley's alcohol. (this was socially unacceptable at the time)
    -Stella has a 'sane'/ stable outlook on the world, understands both sides of the argument whilst Blanche has a distorted reality and is emotionally unstable.
    Stella is the neutral character whilst Blanche is a provocative character.

Hope this is okay (and makes sense). Sorry for not providing quotes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oddities)
    Err... *runs and fetches notes*

You'll have to find some quotes for yourself - I only quoted some things when I was writing up my notes (sorry).

-Stella is straight to the point when speaking (doesn't create anecdotes or doll up her language), whilst Blanche uses 'flowery and poetic' language (and creates them into anecdotes).
    -Stella doesn't want to cause offence 'They're a mixed lot' <- Talking about Stanley I think, whist Blanche isn't afraid to speak her mind.
    -Stella wants to keep herself to herself and doesn't want the whole street to know what's happening, whilst Blanche constantly makes her life seem like an act/ believes her life is a show (see when she shouts fire - I think that's around the middle of the play).
    -Stella 'knows' her place and where she stands in the Kowalski household, but Blanche (more so since she's the visitor) pushes the boundaries --> 'Could I kibitz', and also drinking Stanley's alcohol. (this was socially unacceptable at the time)
    -Stella has a 'sane'/ stable outlook on the world, understands both sides of the argument whilst Blanche has a distorted reality and is emotionally unstable.
    Stella is the neutral character whilst Blanche is a provocative character.

Hope this is okay (and makes sense). Sorry for not providing quotes...
    All makes sense and it's okay, I can find quotes myself . Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    I forgot one..
    The Blue Jazz music and the Varsuvian Polka music. You might not be able to get it into your essay however, you can use it for comparing any characters (after all, the Jazz music is the song of the French Quarter/ New Orleans), because all the characters hear the Jazz music, whilst only Blanche can hear the Varsuvian Polka music. This also goes into Blanche's mental stability.

ReputationRep:
    It's okay! Hope you do well

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.