The Student Room Group

I'm at parties about Margaret Thatcher's death

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
Regardless of your opinion of someone, having a party because they've died is a pretty horrible thing to do.
I definitely don't agree with some things she did, but she still deserves some respect.

Agreed.
Having a party to celebrate someones life on the other hand...
Reply 41
Why do lots of people dislike her :s-smilie:
Original post by a729
I was disgusted when I heard there will a big party on Saturday in Trafalgar Square to celebrate her death.

She was a brilliant woman- arguably her simply becoming the most powerful woman in the world meant she more than did her bit for 'feminism'.

She saved Britain.

She was not perfect but she was a much better leader than the ones we have had recently.

It is wrong to celebrate her death

Well, It's not like it was Al-Qatada or Anjem Choudhry. I wouldn't 'celebrate' their deaths. But I'd be glad to see the back of them because they're extremists, and a danger to innocent people.
Reply 43
Original post by Eveiebaby
To be honest, along with her creating struggle for survival for the miners which was a massive, massive industry at the time of course

No it wasn't. In 1980, there were just over 200 coal mines in the UK, down over 1500 in 1945 and almost three and a half thousand in 1900. It was a declining a loss-making industry.

she was a sympathiser for the aparteid

A lie.
Original post by myah_94

Might be a good idea to read the thread from the beginning to hear arguments for and against. Just a suggestion.
Regardless of who they are, I think it's sick and wrong for people to celebrate someone's death. I'd understand if people express an indifference to Margaret Thatcher's death, but we have to remember that her children are mourning the loss of a mother today, and although we may criticise her from a political perspective (and trust me, I'm totally left wing), we have to remember that she was a human who, essentially, wasn't too different from the rest of us, so I hope she rests in peace.
Reply 46
Original post by Vicodin
yes having parties is pretty horrible and disrespecful... but she did not save Britain. She destroyed the coaling industry here up north which was damaged alot of familes. That makes her pretty far from being 'brillaint', especially from being a 'feminist icon'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

She did not destroy the mining industry - it was doing a fabulous job of failing itself.
Original post by L i b
No it wasn't. In 1980, there were just over 200 coal mines in the UK, down over 1500 in 1945 and almost three and a half thousand in 1900. It was a declining a loss-making industry.

A lie.

Erm, you might be able to change my mind if you could advise why it was a lie with a support of sorts. I haven't just plucked this out of thin air. Even a cursory search on google and I have many hits, one including David Cameron apologising to Nelson Mandela for Thatchers failure to withdraw support for engaging with a country who installed this disgusting regime. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cameron-apologises-for-thatcher-apartheid-policies-413569.html

It's no secret that the labour market of the north was heavily dependent on mines. Why I have to point out the elephant in the room, I don't know. I could repeat the arguments other's have already used in this thread. They are valid points. Little help retraining folk into other positions, having rather under-developed employment in other sectors to replace mining weakened the economic position of the north whilst the South could prosper. Even though mining was in a state of decline, there were not satisfactory measures in place to counteract the effects of the loss of the mines and protect those who it affected.
(edited 11 years ago)
It's completely irrelevant if people disagree with what she managed to achieve in office. People die every day who have enemies, no body should have their death celebrated, regardless of who they are or what they have done.

People are acting like they knew her personally and she made decisions in spite of them. Before they criticise they should read up on what she did and why before pretending they are some sort of historian who lived during her (many) years in office.

I think she was a great PM and have studied her policies and time. I think people are too quick to judge.

People who say that she is only getting praise because she is recently deceased are clearly oblivious to what happens when someone passes away, people remember them for the good they have done.

If people could please just be reasonable and humane in situations like this then the world would be a happier place.

If you don't have anything nice to say about her, don't say anything.

Sorry if this comes across as a rant!!
:angel:
Reply 49
Original post by HollyB_C
She did not destroy the mining industry - it was doing a fabulous job of failing itself.

Scargill and the militant unions did actually lol!

They even violently stopped those who wanted to work!
Reply 50
Original post by tabithalevis
It's completely irrelevant if people disagree with what she managed to achieve in office. People die every day who have enemies, no body should have their death celebrated, regardless of who they are or what they have done.

People are acting like they knew her personally and she made decisions in spite of them. Before they criticise they should read up on what she did and why before pretending they are some sort of historian who lived during her (many) years in office.

I think she was a great PM and have studied her policies and time. I think people are too quick to judge.

People who say that she is only getting praise because she is recently deceased are clearly oblivious to what happens when someone passes away, people remember them for the good they have done.

If people could please just be reasonable and humane in situations like this then the world would be a happier place.

If you don't have anything nice to say about her, don't say anything.

Sorry if this comes across as a rant!!
:angel:

Thank you.

though I'd advise you to avoid the Trafalgar square area on Saturday at 6 - where certain people are having a vile party
Reply 51
Original post by billydisco
She wasn't against working class- you do realise there are other working class jobs besides manufacturing yeh?

That is the most ignorant post I have ever read on a political forum which was actually serious.

Oh. My. Days.
Reply 52
Original post by Eveiebaby
Erm, you might be able to change my mind if you could advise why it was a lie with a support of sorts. I haven't just plucked this out of thin air.

It's no secret that the labour market of the north was heavily dependent on mines. Why I have to point out the elephant in the room, I don't know. I could repeat the arguments other's have already used in this thread. They are valid points. Little help retraining folk into other positions, having rather under-developed employment in other sectors to replace mining weakened the economic position of the north whilst the South could prosper. Even though mining was in a state of decline, there were not satisfactory measures in place to counteract the effects of the loss of the mines and protect those who it affected.

I agree with you about a failure to invest in the manufacturing economies.
I think it would have been good if the manufacturing was privatised than closed down
Reply 53
Original post by myah_94

A somewhat deluded sense of reality & history lool!
Reply 54
Original post by bad_moose
It's pretty poor taste to be honest, regardless of her actions whilst she was in power. A lot of the people who attend won't have a clue what's going on, they'll just be jumping on the bandwagon. Pretty disgusting if you ask me. We're living in a totally different decade, why can't people just let it go and have a bit of decorum?

This!
Reply 55
Original post by bad_moose
It's pretty poor taste to be honest, regardless of her actions whilst she was in power. A lot of the people who attend won't have a clue what's going on, they'll just be jumping on the bandwagon. Pretty disgusting if you ask me. We're living in a totally different decade, why can't people just let it go and have a bit of decorum?

This

So many people weren't even around when she was in power - but are holding up signs celebrating her death
Reply 56
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Nonsense - her policies hit women and womens rights ridiculously hard, she did nothing good for feminism really.

She set an example for women to follow. Giving women money wouldn't help.

She showed that with determination and character a woman CAN make it to the very top
Original post by a729
She set an example for women to follow. Giving women money wouldn't help.

She showed that with determination and character a woman CAN make it to the very top

And pulling the rug out from beneath them, and stepping on them repeatedly would help them?

There's only one thing she did good and that's soft scoop ice cream.
Reply 58
Original post by a729
Scargill and the militant unions did actually lol!

They even violently stopped those who wanted to work!

I like the sentiment. I would +rep you if I could.

My ratings have all been wasted on negging plebs :sigh:
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Why does she deserve respect if she's dead. All this sweet talk about her in the media is sickening. I'm not at all glad she's dead because her last years of existence have been irrelevant but I'm not going to worry about people disrespecting her, if they want to drink in the name of her death then they can go ahead.

And Wales.

It's disrespectful, regardless of what she did or didn't do.

Either way, she's dead now and therefore isn't hindered by any of this.

It's her friends and family who are left behind with the hurt, how must they feel knowing there will be celebratory parties over Thatchers death?
It's not their fault for what mistakes she may have made in the past.
They have enough to deal with, without any added hurt and stress.

It all seems a little uncalled for.
I'm not, in anyway, saying everyone needs to mourn or feel sad on any level, but parties is a little extreme perhaps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending