The Student Room Group

I'm at parties about Margaret Thatcher's death

Scroll to see replies

No one deserves to have their death celebrated.

People can dislike them all they want, they can say that they don't believe the life should be celebrated as an achievement, but to actually celebrate a death is just pathetic.

Its not a matter of respecting Thatcher. Its a matter of respecting humanity.
I personally don't want to live in a community where people would contemplate such a thing.
I got invited to one tonight (Northern Ireland). I declined. As much as I dislike Thatcher's politics that degree of triumphalism makes me deeply uncomfortable.
Reply 62
really dont understand what celebrating her death would achieve anyway, probably just a hangover and a couple hundred wasted on booze.
Original post by Selnec
When you see how deeply she broke communities in the North, you can understand it.

I get really bored of comments like this- so we're supposed to feel sorry for people who left school early, short-termism at its greatest and decided to work digging holes in the ground?

and the northerners complain because she closed down loss-making industries?

oh hang on- no its because she didn't give you all other jobs because looking for a job is waaaaaaaaay too much for them. How dare the ex-miners have to find their own job huh!?
It just shows how awful the human race can be, IMO.

Regardless of what you think of her politically (I don't agree with her), there's no denying she was a strong leader and an interesting individual.

She is still someone's mother, friend etc and it's just plain awful to throw parties about someone's death.

Someone on my fb posted 'ding dong the witch is dead', which I personally find a terrible thing to say.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
And pulling the rug out from beneath them, and stepping on them repeatedly would help them?

There's only one thing she did good and that's soft scoop ice cream.

Surely some women benefited from the right to buy policy?

Most people love ice cream :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by Selnec
Disagree with me all you want, you could at least explain.

That is a cheap and childish response.

Well, I don't believe she broke communities in the North and I don't think that that's a legitimate reason for a) understanding why people hate her enough to insult her on the day of her death and b) hating her sufficiently to insult her on the day of her death. Basically. I thought that was all covered in my last post, sorry.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by ReadyMeal
Mrs. Thatcher was quite accurate with her descriptions of immoral selfish and uncaring leftists.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't forget the irony of their PC ideals!
Reply 68
Original post by HollyB_C
I like the sentiment. I would +rep you if I could.

My ratings have all been wasted on negging plebs :sigh:

Thanks!

I need the reps - I'm aiming to lose a red gem a week lool!
Original post by pandabird
That is the most ignorant post I have ever read on a political forum which was actually serious.

Oh. My. Days.

Coming from a poster who cannot even explain WHY my post was ignorant..... says a lot.
Original post by popnit
That's sick. Having a party celebrating someone's death is just not right no matter who they are.

I'm sure many celebrated when Hitler died. Was it wrong for them to do so?

(Of course i'm not saying Thatcher was like Hitler, don't take it like that! :P)
Reply 71
Original post by RtGOAT
The mining communities should be thankful for her. She gave them the opportunity to get out of the cesspit. To get educated and get real jobs instead of crawling down filthy mines, breeding and having their brood repeating the cycle with no sign of prosperity.

Ungrateful cretins tbh.

Excuse me. My family have been down the pit for years, and you know what it was a real job. A darn hard one at that, and one which is in my blood. The pits fuelled this country. So get off your high horse and show some respect to those who deserve it.
Lots of ravers and soundsystem party people hate her, so will be lots of good parties on in london this weekend.
I think its poor taste to party in someones death BUT in honesty I would go if I wasnt revising, because lets face it, its going to be buzzin.
Original post by Eveiebaby
Pass me the disco shoes please.

The celebration of anyone's death, whether it is Margaret Thatcher or Adolf Hitler, is absolutely disgusting.
Reply 74
Original post by popnit
That's sick. Having a party celebrating someone's death is just not right no matter who they are.

Bonfire Night. Guy Fawkes. Just sayin'

Seriously though, that's horrific.
Reply 75
Original post by Daisy Duke

Who's death is celebrated on 5th of November lol?
Reply 76
Original post by Daisy Duke

That's celebrating what his death represents - not his death itself.
Fawkes is burnt on bonfires to signify his failure to destroy our democratic system.
Reply 77
Original post by Albino
Who's death is celebrated on 5th of November lol?

Guy Fawkes'? Never seen an effigy burnt on the bonfire?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Amanbabbar./
The celebration of anyone's death, whether it is Margaret Thatcher or Adolf Hitler, is absolutely disgusting.

Think what you like. Her policies had a direct effect on those of my family and the experience that one of my close south african friends in terms of parents was horrific, let alone reading articles on the interweb about statistics. I'm sorry, the Hitler argument - I have absolutely no qualms about disrespecting someone who was directly responsible for so many deaths himself. It doesnt make him a good person worthy of respect in death any more than he did in living.

Death seems to make martyrs out of a lot of people who have done wicked things.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by ed-
That's celebrating what his death represents - not his death itself.
Fawkes is burnt on bonfires to signify his failure to destroy our democratic system.

Sadly, I can see a similar thing happening about Margaret Thatcher...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending