Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

I have been extremely lucky to get two offers, but I could never dream of being able to choose.

So far, I've looked at the teaching methods (integrated vs PBL), structure of the course, the size of the two cities (compact vs large), living costs (very similar), number of teaching hospitals available to students, range of placements, cohort size (similar) and intercalation options.

Liverpool is really very far away from home, hence travelling (costs and time) would be a nightmare. Cardiff, on the other hand, has a bit of a reputation for being disorganised (whether or not that's true, I don't know), and this may have an impact.

What other factors should I consider before committing to one university?
    Can any current students offer an insider's view?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CopoDeNieve)
    Hiya

I have been extremely lucky to get two offers, but I could never dream of being able to choose.

So far, I've looked at the teaching methods (integrated vs PBL), structure of the course, the size of the two cities (compact vs large), living costs (very similar), number of teaching hospitals available to students, range of placements, cohort size (similar) and intercalation options.

Liverpool is really very far away from home, hence travelling (costs and time) would be a nightmare. Cardiff, on the other hand, has a bit of a reputation for being disorganised (whether or not that's true, I don't know), and this may have an impact.

What other factors should I consider before committing to one university?
    Can any current students offer an insider's view?

Many thanks
    Hi ,I'm also in the same boat,I'm Canadian and accepted in Liverpool and Royal College of surgeons in Ireland ,Any thoughts,any one?

ReputationRep:
    I think you might have made a decision already, but I saw this and thought I might as well reply!
    I'm at Liverpool Medical school right now and I am really enjoying it! I don't know what Cardiff is like I'm afraid but I would recommend Liverpool.
    The city is a great place to live which is a really important factor as the medicine is similar everywhere. There is loads to do, and its all in a neat and pretty nice city centre, I went to light night the other evening which is an evening of free events across the city centre. It was great fun!
    For the course you have to be motivated and hard working, this isn't spoon fed medicine, you need a drive to learn to do well here, but the early clinical placement is fantastic. I'm in 2 year and spend 2 days a week in hospital and do an additional GP placement. The course is designed to make you a good doctor, not necessarily teaching you every detail of medicine. So it depends what you are like really!
    But every course has is down falls, Liverpool gets penalised for its lack of support, but that's how PBL works.
    Let me know what you choose!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emiliespayne)
    I think you might have made a decision already, but I saw this and thought I might as well reply!
    I'm at Liverpool Medical school right now and I am really enjoying it! I don't know what Cardiff is like I'm afraid but I would recommend Liverpool.
    The city is a great place to live which is a really important factor as the medicine is similar everywhere. There is loads to do, and its all in a neat and pretty nice city centre, I went to light night the other evening which is an evening of free events across the city centre. It was great fun!
    For the course you have to be motivated and hard working, this isn't spoon fed medicine, you need a drive to learn to do well here, but the early clinical placement is fantastic. I'm in 2 year and spend 2 days a week in hospital and do an additional GP placement. The course is designed to make you a good doctor, not necessarily teaching you every detail of medicine. So it depends what you are like really!
    But every course has is down falls, Liverpool gets penalised for its lack of support, but that's how PBL works.
    Let me know what you choose!
    Thank you for your reply!

Liverpool course and medical school sound fantastic. I loved the city when I came for my interview, and you also just confirmed that. And you guys do your finals in Year 4, don't you? I love that if that's true. Year 5 spent mostly on the wards will surely help you find your feet in hospitals. Quite handy when you become the newest member of the clinical team after your graduation.

... I chose Cardiff in the end because it's closer to home, to reduce the costs of travel. Oh, and they are gearing their course towards more clinical placements and fewer big lectures. A bit like Liverpool, but right on the doorstep.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.