Building up Biceps? Watch

w_ahmed_18
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
The best way to build up your biceps is through freeweights and the occasion use of machines that you find in the gym. But it does take time to build muscle, doesn't happen overnight mate!

Try doing barbell curls start light in the beggining and then gradually build the weight up. When i started I had trouble curling 15kg now I can do 40kg with ease.

Try dumbells aswell as they help develop other muscle groups such as lats
Ryan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Thud)
press ups every night before you go to bed.

Start at about 10 and gradually build it up over time.
Erm no. That will just be stupid!

No muscle recovery time, and anyway he wants his biceps bigger, not his upper body! :rolleyes:
Country Lad Rob
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
this is all good advice, one more peice of advice from a sports studeis physio student (me) is not to doo them too often. you have to leave intervals of about 2-3 days in between to alow for muscle growth otherwise you are straing your muscle on newly forming muscles and this will casuse tears.

hope this helps, Rob
*titanium*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by G_H_G)
Also your diet in between training is very important. Its best to drink lots of water and eat a higher amount of protien than you usually would.
Wow so many replies yet this is the only person who thought maybe, just maybe protein is needed for muscle growth.

Bicep curls, every other day doing 2-3 sets till failure with the first being around 10 reps, meaning that you use a weight such that you cant do more then 10 reps, light weights are a waste of time!

You can add to this by doing 2 sets of close grip chin ups with palms faceing towards you.

Eat a lot of meat, tuna is good, or whey protein.

Eat carb rich food after workout and genraly eat lots of carbs as you need to build and maintain muscle glycogen.

Drink lots of water

P.S. if you are doing to do this, you may be interest in building up your whole body, especialy pecs! You dont want to look out of proportion do you?
Anonymous #1
Report 12 years ago
ok...so on that note...wats the best way of building up pecs??
w_ahmed_18
Report 12 years ago
Benching, pectoral flys (peck deck) and chest press
lapsaJ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bis)
Invest in longer bones.

In what way do you mean?
I thought you said you had an excellent memory?
Navajo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
havn't read most of the thread but

25KG of dumbells on each arm and curl them at the same time, simple as that, go buy some if you havn't got any £20 from Argos and do 20 reps twice a day.

Biceps will grow, mine have
G_H_G
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
20 reps twice a day?

Buy the dumbells by all means, I agree with that, but the rest...

If you are training for muscular endurance then that will be fine. But if you are training for muscluar hypertrophy (growth+size) then you need to do less reps, slower reps and high (25kg is fine) weights. And please please please, do not do it every day let alone twice a day. Give yourself 2-3 days and in some cases 4 days rest bewteen training. If you are still hurting when it gets to 3 days for example, then give yourself an extra days rest. Also, as I said above, eat well .
Bis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lapsaJ)
I thought you said you had an excellent memory?
And? I have no recollection of you asking how to get 'longer' muscles.
Bis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Navajo)

25KG of dumbells on each arm and curl them at the same time, simple as that, go buy some if you havn't got any £20 from Argos and do 20 reps twice a day.

Yeah, I bet.
lapsaJ
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

Who are you to say how much he lifts?
lapsaJ
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bis)
And? I have no recollection of you asking how to get 'longer' muscles.
Never mind. A certain pimp gave me a 3 day split including exercises on how to lengthen my biceps. :rolleyes:
*titanium*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

Who are you trying to impress by advising him to do this? 50kg bicep curls, 20 reps? No normal person could do that, you would have to be already very advanced in to bodybuilding, and have a wide frame so that you can actualy pack on more muscle.

As for pecs, my fav is dumbell benchpress, make sure your form is good or you will not work your pecs. I do a few other dumbell excersizes such as dumbell fly's and dont remember the name of the other one.

Also, press ups with hands spread very wide.
G_H_G
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I just realised that it actually read 25kg on each arm :rofl: . I was thinking 25kg overall.
lemonadeX
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Appreciate the help guys, got some good ideas here.

-Will
screenager
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bis)
People like you shouldn't be let within 10 feet of a computer.
The person was wrong about them building up biceps but doing a few pressups wouldn't do any harm, they will make the arm look bigger and that's what the guy wants, but biceps are the way to go for big arms so focus mostly on them.
Xtrm2Matt
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
*Buys some dumbells*
Chi3f
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by rewmck)
but biceps are the way to go for big arms so focus mostly on them.
no.... triceps are the way to go for big arms, seeing triceps are 2/3 of you arm
Thud
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bis)
People like you shouldn't be let within 10 feet of a computer.
Why's that then?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (125)
39.56%
No - but I will (17)
5.38%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.33%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (154)
48.73%

Watched Threads