Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the government legalise brothels? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should the government introduce regulated brothels?
    Yes
    75.61%
    No
    24.39%

ReputationRep:
    Something I've been thinking about recently-at the moment prostitution is completely unregulated and makes those doing it at enormous personal risk, be it from STDs, violent crime, or simply not being paid for their business. Given that many go into prostitution to compensate for other problems in their life as well, would it not make sense for the government to introduce regulated brothels, which would bring the following benefits:

1. A secure place for sex workers to carry out their business.

2. Clients carrying STDs would be barred, minimising the high health risk currently posed.

3. With the brothel having to pay a given license fee to the government, more money could ultimately be put into helping address the fundamental reasons people enter prostitution. I'd add that entering it purely for pleasure wouldn't have to be covered by this and would keep the idea economically viable.

4. The brothels could be put in specific areas of towns/cities barred off from under 18/16s, so that underage children aren't exposed to the industry-only those who want to find the brothel will do so.

Obviously not a completely flawless idea-but is it better than what we have now?

ReputationRep:
    The government should legalise all activities entered into by consenting adults that do not harm anyone external to the arrangement.

They should not, however, be regulated by the government.

ReputationRep:
    There is a tension between two things; the undeniable fact that prostitution will be practised however you try to repress it, and that many people (myself included) would see it as an undesirable activity.

Taking those two premises as a starting point I would say that small scale brothels run by the women involved themselves would be acceptable, it makes their work safer. However, if someone was running the brothel in a purely or substantially managerial capacity that should not be allowed as it is clear exploitation.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know realy, because there a lots of stories, where a man has sex with a girl he likes, and then gives her money to buy a car or so or a fancy dress ,,, this is almost the same as prostition, or am i wrong???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    Clients carrying STDs would be barred, minimising the high health risk currently posed.
    How would you enforce that btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    How would you enforce that btw?
    In Holland I believe clients get routinely screened for such diseases-so we'd need a similar system in place.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    There is a tension between two things; the undeniable fact that prostitution will be practised however you try to repress it, and that many people (myself included) would see it as an undesirable activity.

Taking those two premises as a starting point I would say that small scale brothels run by the women involved themselves would be acceptable, it makes their work safer. However, if someone was running the brothel in a purely or substantially managerial capacity that should not be allowed as it is clear exploitation.
    Paying for sex is likely something we'll be stuck with for a long time yet-what I'm saying is that it's better to have some kind of regulation on it as in the Netherlands out of the safety of those doing it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Legitimises prostitution without the abuse prostitutes face on the streets. People who whine about it objectifying women are missing the bigger issues of choice and that it empowers women who have been abused in the past.

Not that I think prostitution is to be glamourised, but changing the image changes perceptions of both prostitutes and women in society.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Anyone saying that this will provide better job security for prostitutions is implying that poor prostitutes had no choice about their line of work. They chose the job and they know what they're getting into, it's a bit rich to say the poor things have such an unhappy work place. Most of them go into it from addictions, but our country hasn't reached the point yet where it would ever be forced on a girl to become a prostitute.

That said, there is a massive problem with prostitution, in that it will never go away. It's always going to exist and the current system definitely doesnt work, it leaves them open to massive amounts of abuse and danger. There should be a change in policy to address this. Our culture focuses around paying for sex in one way or another, and to be perfectly honest prostitution is one of the more honest and open jobs around.

But a brothel is not the answer. The european sex slave trade is massive, and thankfully our little island has escaped that compared to places where brothels are legal. Most of the workers there are forcibly dragged into the line of work whereas here in England prostitution isn't based around establishments and doesn't see women (and men) kidnapped, restrained and left on a drip of drugs to get them addicted. This still happens today, in our modern world, and legalising brothels would bring a great evil into our country.

There needs to be something done but this isn't the way.

ReputationRep:
    To the people citing Holland as an example, their sex trade isn't properly regulated and women are still trafficked into prostitution. Unless you could guarantee that all women who went into it were protected and it was by choice rather than extortion, then it's not worth the risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edithwashere)
    To the people citing Holland as an example, their sex trade isn't properly regulated and women are still trafficked into prostitution. Unless you could guarantee that all women who went into it were protected and it was by choice rather than extortion, then it's not worth the risk.
    This is the kind of thing I would want implemented-though by making all brothels require to have a government issued license to operate, which could be withdrawn in violation of this, we wouldn't be far off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    This is the kind of thing I would want implemented-though by making all brothels require to have a government issued license to operate, which could be withdrawn in violation of this, we wouldn't be far off.
    It would depend on how you implemented it. The laws in the Netherlands are there to protect sex workers, yet people are still trafficked and there's still an underground sex trade. In theory it can work, but I think Netherlands and Belgium have both proved that if you don't sink enough money into regulation, it gets out of hand and people get horribly exploited. Removing the stigma of sex work would be an important factor too - sex workers are often discriminated against and treated poorly even by the people who are supposed to help them.

ReputationRep:

Why would that be clear exploitation?

ReputationRep:

If you find brothels undesirable don't go. Why do you think you should be able to stop others from going?

If the girls freely choose to work for an employer, its not exploitation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dgeorge)
    Why would that be clear exploitation?
    I believe that, fundamentally, the sex industry is objectifying of women and leads to their exploitation. I believe it is a negative thing which should not be encouraged.

I don't need those beliefs to be validated or disagreed with, I state it only so it's clear where I'm coming from.

On that basis, if someone is the manager of the brothel it is my view that they are exploiting their workers, which is something I believe is wrong. However, if the brothel is on a small scale and run by the workers themselves then they are being exploited more by the industry they choose to work in rather than one particular person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonstudent1)
    If you find brothels undesirable don't go. Why do you think you should be able to stop others from going?

If the girls freely choose to work for an employer, its not exploitation.
    Well, that is where we differ. I'd say an industry which makes women subject to men's desires is inherently exploitative, but you say it is a choice for the women to make. Those positions are irreconcilable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Anyone saying that this will provide better job security for prostitutions is implying that poor prostitutes had no choice about their line of work. They chose the job and they know what they're getting into, it's a bit rich to say the poor things have such an unhappy work place. Most of them go into it from addictions, but our country hasn't reached the point yet where it would ever be forced on a girl to become a prostitute.

That said, there is a massive problem with prostitution, in that it will never go away. It's always going to exist and the current system definitely doesnt work, it leaves them open to massive amounts of abuse and danger. There should be a change in policy to address this. Our culture focuses around paying for sex in one way or another, and to be perfectly honest prostitution is one of the more honest and open jobs around.

But a brothel is not the answer. The european sex slave trade is massive, and thankfully our little island has escaped that compared to places where brothels are legal. Most of the workers there are forcibly dragged into the line of work whereas here in England prostitution isn't based around establishments and doesn't see women (and men) kidnapped, restrained and left on a drip of drugs to get them addicted. This still happens today, in our modern world, and legalising brothels would bring a great evil into our country.

There needs to be something done but this isn't the way.
    But a brothel is not the answer. The european sex slave trade is massive, and thankfully our little island has escaped that compared to places where brothels are legal.
    Are you trying to imply that legal prostitution encourages the sex slave trade? Just asking here.

I agree that legalised brothels aren't the answer to the issues that arise with the sex slave trade.

HOWEVER I don't believe that the government should be responsible for regulating activities that take place between consenting adults, as long as they cause no wide ranging harm (be it physical, mental, emotional etc) to the persons engaged or persons in the wider society.

If anything, making brothels illegal causes MORE harm than good, because
    1. You have stigmatised a perfectly natural act
    2. You deprive people of sources of lucrative sources of income

ReputationRep:
    Women get trafficked into the U.K for illegal brothels. The argument is regulation would make it easier to protect girls, as they would all have to be registered, girls could make complaints without fear of prosecution be protected and then if they wanted (or needed to because of money) carry on in a different establishment or quit.

There are also prostitutes who freely choose the trade and if men want to sleep with them for money, why should anyone else stop that because of their own moral beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    The LEGAL sex trade is actually quite well regulated.

The issue of illegal trafficking is a totally separate issue from the legal sex trade, just as there are STILL people who illegal produce alcohol despite the presence of perfectly legal alcohol.

then it's not worth the risk
    What "risks" are there with regulated government brothels?

ReputationRep:
    i have yet to see an argument against it that makes sense to me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.