Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Unis that don't base selection for interview on personal statement Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I was wondering if there are any medical schools that don't read the personal statements of applicants in order to select them for interviews ?

many thanks

ReputationRep:
    apparently exeter/plymouth dont use it that much but im not sure about that
    Alot who are UKCAT favoured, tend to say PS has to be a certain standard, not necessarily a high mark on it so if you have a good UKCAT go for the London Unis or Nottingham, HYMS

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle used to have a simple UKCAT cut-off.

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow - have academic quals, UKCAT cut-off (top 500 of applicant pool) = interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetchilli)
    Glasgow - have academic quals, UKCAT cut-off (top 500 of applicant pool) = interview
    Hello thank you - so do Glasgow not look at the ps and do all top 500 applicant get interviewed considering they meet minimum academic requirements ?

(Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    Newcastle used to have a simple UKCAT cut-off.
    Hi thank you
    Do you know if they still do ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jojo1995)
    Probably, I don't know. Their website has a complete admissions policy, it's only a few pages long.

I applied 3 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge doesn't really read PS

ReputationRep:
    Dundee don't look at it until interview and I believe SGUL are the same.

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle still select for interview based purely on UKCAT score. PS is only looked at just before/during the interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    Dundee don't look at it until interview and I believe SGUL are the same.
    Really? Dundee certainly used to look at PS before interview 3-4 years ago.

How do they do it now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    Really? Dundee certainly used to look at PS before interview 3-4 years ago.

How do they do it now?
    For undergrads, purely academic; 60% grades, 40% UKCAT.

As far as I'm aware, the PS isn't ever formally scored because, post-interview, their decision is based purely on interview performance.

ReputationRep:
    Belfast.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford don't, they just look at bmat and gcse a* percentage. I don't understand why you don't want them looking at your personal statement, because if you can't express/haven't got enough experience on paper, how do you expect to get through an interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For Nottingham GEM apparently it is essentially only used to check you're not insane, and to verify experiences? Could be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Hello thank you - so do Glasgow not look at the ps and do all top 500 applicant get interviewed considering they meet minimum academic requirements ?

Hi thank you
    Glasgow look at PS but don't really use it for selection. Interviewers might ask you something about it but some don't even get a copy. Top 500-550 UKCAT scores get invited if meet minimum academic requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Just do work experience over the summer holidays in your local GP/Hospital and volunteer in an O.P home. Maybe pick up an instrument or join your local football team to seem well rounded. If you've got no experience they won't be impressed at your interview :l

ReputationRep:
    Why are you concerned?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I was wondering if there are any medical schools that don't read the personal statements of applicants in order to select them for interviews ?

many thanks
    Birmingham - they use academic criteria

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.