Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a first year studying languages and due to personal problems and issues at home, namely a parent suffering from severe depression, I feel that dropping out at the end of this academic year is the best option for me. I have received good firsts in all modules so far and as long as I continue to work really hard I hope to gain a first overall for this year. My main question is how easy would it be for me to get accepted as a second year entrant/ transfer applicant next year? Do unis look badly on people who have dropped out?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not 100% sure about this suggestion, but you could enquire about taking a study break for a year, rather than just dropping out altogether. I don't know what your university's policy is on such things, but I've known of a bunch of people that took a break in their studies due to various reason (family issues, health problems) and it worked out fine for them.

I think there is a (or there should be at least) a course of action you can take whereby you can do this and save yourself the hassle of having to fill out all the paperwork for dropping out/reapplying again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bouffe)
    I'm not 100% sure about this suggestion, but you could enquire about taking a study break for a year, rather than just dropping out altogether. I don't know what your university's policy is on such things, but I've known of a bunch of people that took a break in their studies due to various reason (family issues, health problems) and it worked out fine for them.

I think there is a (or there should be at least) a course of action you can take whereby you can do this and save yourself the hassle of having to fill out all the paperwork for dropping out/reapplying again.

Thank you for your reply. The thing is I'm about a 5-8 hour journey away from home at the moment and that isn't tenable so I will definitely have to move unis.

ReputationRep:
    First talk to your course tutor. It should be be possible to take a study break, which could be as long as the next full academic year. You are nearly at the end of your first year, so assuming you can complete this well that should help you if you need to transfer to a closer university. By discussing your situation with your course tutor they are much more likely to support a transfer application to another university. So you shouldn't be disadvantaged by having to take a break or switch to another university.

Having been through something similiar with a relative, I found once the university and those local to the situation were aware, help and support was available. Whilst I was prepared to rearrange my life to support my relative, by talking to professionals experienced with treating the condition and my relative, I realised I wasn't equipped to provide the care require. Supporting my relative through treatment by phone calls and regular visits was much more effective.

Whilst I understand the need you feel to be at home with parent, understand that those closest to the person with depression are often not best equipped to help them recover. Support from family and friends helps but you should seek professional support as a priority. Discuss your plans with you family and friends (contact close friends of parents as well), you might find that you are not the only one in a position to help. If you think that by transferring to a closer university will give you the peace of mind of being on hand if necessary consider it. But make sure the university meets your needs, with the right treatment even severe depression can improve significantly over a 3-6 months period. You don't want to find yourself at a place you can't enjoy after the immediate crisis has passed.

Good Luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.