Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Travel Money (More than one currency) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hiiii! Me and some friends are going travelling around Europe in July, and we're unsure as to what to do when it comes to money.
    We have looked into several travel money cards - (Post office, Thomas Cook.etc.) which look really handy but we will be needing money in Euros, Polish Zlotys and Czech's Koruna, and the majority of the money cards only deal with Euros.
    Do you think travel cards will be the best idea? And do you think it will be a case of going to the exchange bureau's when we go to Poland and Czech?

Thankyou all

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it abroad, you will get ripped off. Get all your money before you go. I went to all those countries in 3 weeks and just carried cash. (not in the street obvs.)

ReputationRep:
    Get pre-paid currency cards - a Euro one and a GBP 'general' one (FairFX and Caxton FX seem to top the value for money tables). Lets you use ATMs and the cash you got out will be cheaper than 99% of regular bank cards and 99.99% of money exchanges.

This link was banded about the moneysaving forums a while back as it means you don't have to pay the £10 setup fee:
    https://www.fairfx.com/ref/nrnej

There are good money changers to be found abroad, but even they will charge you about 5% (unless you are changing thousands). Worst i heard was 2 lads in Venice...paid over 30%!

Wouldn't worry about Forint and Zloty, you really won't need much, so just change there and bite the bullet. You'll get the best rate by changing Euro rather than GBP. Prague has good moneychangers...so go compare rates. I rarely pay more than 1% there.

ReputationRep:
    When I've travelled abroad I've used the Caxton FX card and I have no complaints about it.

If you have any money leftover and are travelling into a new country you can usually find somewhere to change it over where you're staying, saves you carrying around loads of different coins.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.