Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lefties celebrating Thatcher's death gives her more public sympathy than Tory PR Watch

ReputationRep:
    It is quite apparent that the general public sentiment is disgust at people partying or making crass remarks because it is dehumanising, dispassionate, undignified and frankly un-British. Legitimate criticsm is acceptable, but it is quite obvious that gratuitous and mean-spririted celebration is not.

Do the lefties doing this not realise that they are doing more for the public sympathy of Thatcher and her policies than Tory PR or the right-wing press ever could?

By provoking digust from the public, these lefties are tarnishing and diverting attention away from their (perhaps legitimate) criticisms and making the public jump to Thatcher's side as a woman who was a mother and grandmother.

ReputationRep:
    Of course they don't realise. They're clearly idiots.

ReputationRep:
    Amazing all these people managed to get the time off work.

ReputationRep:
    ****ed up to celebrate someones death

ReputationRep:
    I hate how people suddenly change their opinions now. She was a vile woman when alive why should I now have sympathy because she is dead?

ReputationRep:
    I am surprised not to have been invited to any wake or celebration, especially given some of the thoughts of one or two people I know.

I have sympathy for her granchildren and Carol as they mourn, and had to witness her failing health.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Of course they don't realise. They're clearly idiots.
    Or they may just not give a **** about PR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    Amazing all these people managed to get the time off work.
    Hahaha - oh the idea. Lefties in work. Pfft!

ReputationRep:
    People either love her or hate her, and your opinion of her isn't going to suddenly change because people are doing this.

ReputationRep:
    Lefties Lefties Lefties OUT OUT OUT

ReputationRep:
    Its because there is a minority of lefties in this country are very politically active and therefore way over-represented in the news. The majority group of hard working people who supported Thatcher in her 3 election wins get ignored in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Or they may just not give a **** about PR.
    LoL, really? They are all attention seekers. The usual suspects who turn up to all student protests. None of them are genuine, they all play to Facebook, Twitter, and youtube.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    I don't think it will. No matter what happens, there's always going to be that one guy who makes lewd comments, and the media will find them and blow them out of proportion anyway. Celebrating her death on a large scale is the only way we might finally be free to openly discuss that the woman was inept and evil, and make it clear to future generations that kind of leadership won't be made a martyr of or glorified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gallifreyan95)
    Hahaha - oh the idea. Lefties in work. Pfft!
    My parents are lefties - both in work. What are you suggesting? That a person who considers himself left wing does not work? Nice to see you're not stereotyping eh. Get a grip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    I don't think it will. No matter what happens, there's always going to be that one guy who makes lewd comments, and the media will find them and blow them out of proportion anyway. Celebrating her death on a large scale is the only way we might finally be free to openly discuss that the woman was inept and evil, and make it clear to future generations that kind of leadership won't be made a martyr of or glorified.
    What did she do that was evil exactly?

ReputationRep:
    What did she do that was evil exactly?
    What DIDN'T she do that was evil?

Ask anybody from the North of England/Scotland/Northern Ireland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabian92)
    What DIDN'T she do that was evil?

Ask anybody from the North of England/Scotland/Northern Ireland.
    I'm from Scotland. What precisely did she do that was evil?

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Scotland. What precisely did she do that was evil?
    Shut down the mines, made a tonne of people unemployed then took their pensions off them. That's pretty evil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabian92)
    Shut down the mines, made a tonne of people unemployed then took their pensions off them. That's pretty evil.
    She refused to pay gigantic state subsidies to dying industries without them agreeing to modernise, I don't see the evil. The miners made the whole situation significantly worse than it had to be. Moreover, significantly more pits were closed before and after Thatcher was in office. I'm afraid that trying to modernise an industry that would have died anyway is not evil, and making people unemployed was an inevitable consequence of the Labour policies she inherited.

I have no idea what your reference to their pensions is about; it seems like it would be well known had it actually happened, and if it did I expect there was an extremely good reason for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    My parents are lefties - both in work. What are you suggesting? That a person who considers himself left wing does not work? Nice to see you're not stereotyping eh. Get a grip.
    No, you see, I was using this thing called 'sarcasm' to attempt to throw humour over a situation which is being thrown out of proportion from all sorts of people. Of course it was a wild over-arching stereotype.

Identifying yourself as 'left' or 'right' is silly.
    Why can I not think the Economic policy of one party is the way forward, while thinking the approach to Education of another is right?

People who see themselves as 'belonging' to political parties do as much damage to the political system as the politicians who don't know what they are doing.

I can but give my apologies if my actions upset yourself.
    If only the people who are dancing on Thatchers grave could see from the same perspective.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.