Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hypocritical housemate wants to fine me £5 !!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    So here's the deal: a petty, somewhat bullying housemate has declared that I owe the house £5 because I when I left the house on Thurs 28 March, I accidentally left the fan on above the kitchen oven. It's quite a small fan so I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has any estimates of how much it actually would cost in terms of electricity usage, especially because he came back to the house on Easter Monday (April 1) so it was only on for 3 days, yet has been living alone in the house for 5 days, and presumably using water, light switches and appliances, whilst he's been here.

We have a poster in the kitchen where we detail who owes who what, and he's written that I owe the house £5 for leaving "the kitchen in a state". It's true that the kitchen was a bit messy, but it wasn't too untidy, and the reason I left it like that was because I'd been really ill with flu. I was meant to go home a lot earlier, but I was too ill to travel.

I just feel that he's being a bit unfair, and in the past he's made me pay "fines" for leaving the kitchen light on, because my room is next door so I always get blamed and held accountable. On those occasions, about 3 or 4 times, I've caved in, even when I was adamant that it wasn't me and that I shouldn't always get blamed because everyone in our house uses the kitchen, and it's also the way in through the front door. Furthermore, the hallway light is almost ALWAYS left on overnight but my suggestion to fine the rest of my housemates 20p each or £1 if anyone owned up to it was branded preposterous, even though I think it's only fair that if they fine me for the kitchen light, they ought to be fined for the hallway light.

Tbh, I can deal with people being petty but when one rule applies to me and another to someone else, it feels like bullying.

I don't want to pay this fine because I don't think it's fair and I really want to punch my housemate or fine him for being such a horrid person to have to put up with! Nobody else has ever had to pay an actual fine. They've just been told not to do it again. All my other housemates tread on eggshells around this guy because he's depressed and his parents are divorcing, but he's not the only one who has to deal with pain and I don't think that justifies him behaving like and ******** all the time!

So I suppose I'd like to know if you think I'm being too touchy or if he's being too petty?

Should I pay the £5?

And does anyone have any idea how much it would actually cost us by me leaving the fan on for 3 days?

ReputationRep:
    Ask for evidence?

Posted from TSR Mobile - Quote me if you want a reply

ReputationRep:
    Put your foot down and say no, what's he going to do?

Posted from TSR Mobilek

ReputationRep:
    Does the £5 go directly to him? If so, then of course you shouldn't pay it. Personally I don't think you should pay it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, the politics of a student house. Do not pay the £5. Tell Mr KnowItAll to pipe down.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Innocent until proven guilty. Simple as.

ReputationRep:
    A fine? In a ****ing house? What's he, the self-employed house police?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    What's he going to do if you don't pay it?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely don't pay it! If one of my housemates tried to fine me, I'd probably just laugh in their face. I can think of one student house last year where they had to pay fines if they didn't stick to the cleaning rota. It was like a £3 fine if you forgot to hoover or did it a day late. I don't think it went down too well or lasted very long.

Say you don't think it's fair - no one else has had to pay fines at any point - so you won't pay it. You can't just start imposing fines if and when you feel like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willbee)
    So here's the deal: a petty, somewhat bullying housemate has declared that I owe the house £5 because I when I left the house on Thurs 28 March, I accidentally left the fan on above the kitchen oven. It's quite a small fan so I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has any estimates of how much it actually would cost in terms of electricity usage, especially because he came back to the house on Easter Monday (April 1) so it was only on for 3 days, yet has been living alone in the house for 5 days, and presumably using water, light switches and appliances, whilst he's been here.

We have a poster in the kitchen where we detail who owes who what, and he's written that I owe the house £5 for leaving "the kitchen in a state". It's true that the kitchen was a bit messy, but it wasn't too untidy, and the reason I left it like that was because I'd been really ill with flu. I was meant to go home a lot earlier, but I was too ill to travel.

I just feel that he's being a bit unfair, and in the past he's made me pay "fines" for leaving the kitchen light on, because my room is next door so I always get blamed and held accountable. On those occasions, about 3 or 4 times, I've caved in, even when I was adamant that it wasn't me and that I shouldn't always get blamed because everyone in our house uses the kitchen, and it's also the way in through the front door. Furthermore, the hallway light is almost ALWAYS left on overnight but my suggestion to fine the rest of my housemates 20p each or £1 if anyone owned up to it was branded preposterous, even though I think it's only fair that if they fine me for the kitchen light, they ought to be fined for the hallway light.

Tbh, I can deal with people being petty but when one rule applies to me and another to someone else, it feels like bullying.

I don't want to pay this fine because I don't think it's fair and I really want to punch my housemate or fine him for being such a horrid person to have to put up with! Nobody else has ever had to pay an actual fine. They've just been told not to do it again. All my other housemates tread on eggshells around this guy because he's depressed and his parents are divorcing, but he's not the only one who has to deal with pain and I don't think that justifies him behaving like and ******** all the time!

So I suppose I'd like to know if you think I'm being too touchy or if he's being too petty?

Should I pay the £5?

And does anyone have any idea how much it would actually cost us by me leaving the fan on for 3 days?
    No off course not...............ignore him, just because he has issues with his life, yes you can be nice, but doesn't give him the right for him to tread over you.

And I don't understand why you caved in, knowing no one else did either, it seems like your the person he uses to feel still in control of his life despite his problems, ignore him.

I absolutely despise people like him who try to take control over others and play the bigger man even though they aren't............It also seems like none of your other housemates like him either and just letting him off cos of his problems......stand up to him, tell him you aren't going to give him anything not a penny, you should also know that not anyone can give out fines in terms of law as far as I'm aware.

Another thing which stands out to me is who gets the money from the fine ??????? It seems like a way to steal off your housemates........... ignore the little petty person, he's taking advantage of your nature, ignore him, and DON'T CAVE IN.

ReputationRep:
    Your house sounds so petty. The whole point of getting a house together means you take joint financial responsibility for things like that. Everyone makes a mistake at some point so it's swings and roundabouts really. As others have said, don't pay it. In future, try and be really careful about leaving things on, so this guy doesn't have anything else to pick on you about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    Ask for evidence?

Posted from TSR Mobile - Quote me if you want a reply
    Hmm, yeah, he can't prove that it would have cost much, let alone that it would have cost more than his energy usage (which it almost certainly hasn't).

(Original post by Cake Faced Kid.)
    Does the £5 go directly to him? If so, then of course you shouldn't pay it. Personally I don't think you should pay it anyway.
    The £5 would be shared between him and my other 4 housemates, so it would be £1 each, but even so that seems a bit unnecessary considering I don't think anyone else would suggest such a fine, and I don't think anyone else would be asked to pay one.

(Original post by zed963)
    Innocent until proven guilty. Simple as.

(Original post by rockrunride)
    A fine? In a ****ing house? What's he, the self-employed house police?
    Yeah, you're right. He doesn't have any authority to demand money from me like this, and he shouldn't be able to dictate who has to pay what when we all use different amounts of energy and there's no way to tell who uses the most. And even if he goes to the landlord, it's such a petty argument that I don't think it would be taken seriously.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

ReputationRep:
    You should fine him every time he tries to speak to you for wasting your time.

ReputationRep:
    I've lived with xontrol freaks at Uni. Don't even bother with it. It's petty and pathetic, Tell her she has no shame and is a ponce.

ReputationRep:
    i would actually **** that lil **** up not gonna lie, who does he think he is fining you lol?

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you living with Sheldon cooper

If I had a roommate that tried to.make me pay fines id lol and make up.some BS law against the fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tell him to do one. Whats he going to do?

ReputationRep:
    That's ridiculous. Some people ate so petty. This is why I live with my best friends. If one of us leaves a light on, the others laugh it off and that's that. I did have a friend who lived with a guy who used to take hour long showers but demand he pay less on bills because he never used the oven though. It happens. Just put your foot down, say you'll pay your fair share and no more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Write on your little board that he owes you £10 for something petty (Left some mud on the floor, didn't clean the frying pan correctly)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willbee)

Should I pay the £5?

Bloody hell. When you're ill, you can't be expected to clean the kitchen up to it's full state. Maybe clean it up a little, but this is a bit... far

I googled how much fans use in terms of power consumption, and in general I've seen 35 - 50W. Which is way off 300W that I previously thought

Anyway, let's assume you pay expensive electricity prices at 0.15p/KwH

Here's my calculations

35W

0.15/1000= £0.00015 (per watt)
    0.00015p * 35 = £0.00525 for one hour of fan use
    £0.00525 * 72 = £0.378

If it's 50W

0.15/1000= £0.00015 (per watt)
    0.00015p * £0.0075 for one hour of fan use
    £0.0075 * 72 = £0.54

It's hardly any thing

Oh and remember I intentionally used a high electricity cost. I think the "normal" cost is around 12p/KwH

EDIT: 14.5p/KwH is "average" now

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.