Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not sure if depressed but taking antidepressants Watch

I've been depressed on and off for many years now but have only gone to the GP today. I talked to them and they gave me a prescription for antidepressants and showed me where I could go for councelling (which I indend to do). The only problem is the past 2 weeks I haven't really been that depressed, I made the appointment before I left for the holidays and was really bad. I have always had good spells which I didn't talk about enough I think and I'm worried I might be bipolar instead of just depressed (looking online I think I fit into the classic depression/mania symptoms). The good spells are generally at times like the start of term or any time where I feel like I can reset for a bit though so idk if it's just temporary positive thinking/a placebo thing. Is it a good idea to take the medication? I have a follow up in 2 weeks and have already taken the first dose. Although I don't feel that depressed atm I still have a lot of the depressive symptoms (tiredness, lack of concentration, anxiousness, disturbed sleep) just not the low mood, suicidal thoughts etc. I don't want to take the medication for no reason but at the same time I know the high won't last but I don't know how long till it goes. I don't want to not take the medication in case it'll stop the depressive symtoms from happening. I don't know if this makes any sense but any help would be appreciated.

If you don't mind me asking, what medication are you on? Because sometimes, like with Xanax and stuff, doctors usually tell you to take them whenever you feel like you need it.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    If you don't mind me asking, what medication are you on? Because sometimes, like with Xanax and stuff, doctors usually tell you to take them whenever you feel like you need it.
    It's 20mg Citalopram. I have to take it every day.

It's 20mg Citalopram. I have to take it every day.
    Ah, that's quite specific for major depression. The tiredness, lack of concentration, anxiousness and disturbed sleep, how long have they been going on for? Because they're all possible side effects of taking Citalopram.

This is a tricky one. On one hand, you don't to down play your depression at all because I think most of us have a tendency to do that. On the other hand, you don't want to take medication when you perhaps feel it isn't too bad. I totally get what you mean when you say you feel like you don't need help now. I was supposed to see a doctor and put it off when the appointment came because I was feeling better and felt like I didn't need it. But then a week later I felt like I needed it again. It's so confusing, haha. It's all very subjective. I guess only you can know the extent of your depression. Maybe just try and finish the current dosage and see how it goes? But if you feel like you really don't need it, then just stop.

Ah, that's quite specific for major depression. The tiredness, lack of concentration, anxiousness and disturbed sleep, how long have they been going on for? Because they're all possible side effects of taking Citalopram.

This is a tricky one. On one hand, you don't to down play your depression at all because I think most of us have a tendency to do that. On the other hand, you don't want to take medication when you perhaps feel it isn't too bad. I totally get what you mean when you say you feel like you don't need help now. I was supposed to see a doctor and put it off when the appointment came because I was feeling better and felt like I didn't need it. But then a week later I felt like I needed it again. It's so confusing, haha. It's all very subjective. I guess only you can know the extent of your depression. Maybe just try and finish the current dosage and see how it goes? But if you feel like you really don't need it, then just stop.
    I considered doing that but I've already left it for a few years and I couldn't leave it another day. I've already lost all my friends but one from secondary school and went now because I was worried it was happening again at uni. I only just started taking Citalopram yesterday so it's not that. The tiredness/lack of concentration is from the start of the depression so 4-5 years, I seriously cannot remember not being like that apart from the few potential manic periods. I'm tempted to just complete the dose, especially since I have the follow up in 2 weeks time (I have a months supply). I don't know if the potential mania is a placebo thing or just because it was the holiday though. That's why I'm unsure about it being bipolar as it is usually around these kinds of time when I can just relax and reset as I said (although that being said I have had the odd day or two when I'm just really good for no apparent reason).

I considered doing that but I've already left it for a few years and I couldn't leave it another day. I've already lost all my friends but one from secondary school and went now because I was worried it was happening again at uni. I only just started taking Citalopram yesterday so it's not that. The tiredness/lack of concentration is from the start of the depression so 4-5 years, I seriously cannot remember not being like that apart from the few potential manic periods. I'm tempted to just complete the dose, especially since I have the follow up in 2 weeks time (I have a months supply). I don't know if the potential mania is a placebo thing or just because it was the holiday though. That's why I'm unsure about it being bipolar as it is usually around these kinds of time when I can just relax and reset as I said (although that being said I have had the odd day or two when I'm just really good for no apparent reason).
    I totally understand, I think I'm the same in a lot of ways. I think you should definitely just complete the dose as told and follow through with the follow up then. I just hope it all goes well for you.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you still have depressive symptoms you're likely still depressed even if you don't feel down/sad/whatever you want to call that element of depression. Realistically if you are bipolar the antidepressant might make you cycle more (they do for me). Having a good day here or there, especially when it sounds like it's due to being on holiday and not stressed/able to do what you want isn't really indicative of bipolar I don't think. Speaking as someone with bipolar disorder.

ReputationRep:
    I think the best thing would be to keep taking the citalopram until you see your GP next and talk to them about it then.

With regards to mania - mania is a very extreme mood state and lasts atleast a week long. People usually experience psychosis with mania and are very impulsive (e.g. Spending all your savings on stuff you don't need). There is a less severe form of mania called hypomania, but even this is still a lot more than just feeling okay for a day or two. From what you said it sounds more like the holidays lifted your mood rather than a bipolar mood swing. Also remember that people with depression can also experience good days, and do have mood swings. However if you are concerned, do mention it to your dr

Thanks a lot for your help everyone. I'm probably just overthinking this, I have been impulsive in these moods but if the criteria is that it needs to last at least a week long then that's probably not it, I've had fairly long periods where I'm "OK" but never long periods of that I don't think, just the random day or two. I'll bring it up with the GP when I see them next and continue with the medication. It seems like therapy/councelling is the best thing to get started with then. Any does anyone have any suggestions/experiences with this? I really want to finally get out of this hole I've been in an actually start to live my life properly and fulfill my potential.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE READ THIS VERY LONG THREAD AND REPLY PLEASE!! IT'S ABOUT DEPRESSION >>>>>>>> http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2314940

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.