Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to get into web design/digital media

Basically being able to create complete websites, from coding, video & animation production, creating graphics etc.

I already do most of these things myself on a very, very basic level as ive been an avid blogger and webmaster for about 5 years now.

To my surprise there are no Access To HE courses in web design in London :O.

City & Islington did have a digital media course which was probably the closest to my needs but that's not running this year

Not sure what to do, i don't really want to do a 2 year BTEC as i simply don't have the time nor money.

Do you think i could get on a foundation course at uni??? Or just do the closest media Access course i can find and then hope it transfer well when looking for Uni courses (although im sure none in London offer anythign close to what im looking for)

I only have GCSE and no a levels and this is why im so frustrated because Access To HE is the perfect stepping stone for Uni.

It appears there is no stepping stone if you are in London and wanting to learn web design/digital media

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peco)
    I'm looking to get into web design/digital media

Basically being able to create complete websites, from coding, video & animation production, creating graphics etc.

I already do most of these things myself on a very, very basic level as ive been an avid blogger and webmaster for about 5 years now.

To my surprise there are no Access To HE courses in web design in London :O.

City & Islington did have a digital media course which was probably the closest to my needs but that's not running this year

Not sure what to do, i don't really want to do a 2 year BTEC as i simply don't have the time nor money.

Do you think i could get on a foundation course at uni??? Or just do the closest media Access course i can find and then hope it transfer well when looking for Uni courses (although im sure none in London offer anythign close to what im looking for)

I only have GCSE and no a levels and this is why im so frustrated because Access To HE is the perfect stepping stone for Uni.

It appears there is no stepping stone if you are in London and wanting to learn web design/digital media
    Contact some universities you're interested in, and see if you can get on a foundation course with our experience. If not, you may be able to do Access to HE, and then do a foundation year.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at http://www.dcs.bbk.ac.uk/itapps/certheweb.html Go along to the open evening in May to get a feel for the course.

It offers routes to a foundation degree or degree depending on how far you take it. It is pay as you take a module format, you can also check if you qualify for any assistance or fee concessions.

If you are just interested in learning have a look at www.udacity.com or www.codecademy.com, the computing related courses can get you going. Developing good core skills in programming and HTML will help you in any other studies. If you are able to develop the skills, look for opportunites to use the skills, develop your own website, get it hosted etc. See if there are any open source community opportunites that match your skill set.

If you can demonstrate a reasonable level of knowledge you may find it easier to gain direct access to a Foundation degree, assuming you meet the criteria for a mature student. Entering at Foundation degree level may also give student finance funding opportunites.

Note you should realise that many academic courses are often not using current industry standard tools or techniques. There is always something new around the corner and you have to do a lot of self study to remain current.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.