Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Britain is tacky and cheap Watch

ReputationRep:
    For a few years now I can't help but feel that Britain is overall a pretty tacky nation. Perhaps I have been sold by the image of the american dream but theres a number of things.

• Our film industry is majority low budget, usually a indie romance flick or such
    • Hundreds of these cheap halal fried chicken shops in the high-street (not necessarily bad if you're a student but so many)
    • Outside of London lots of boring small towns and villages, with little culture or value for younger people
    • People in London cant interact with each, especially the opposite sex without getting drunk, and many settle with ugly partners
    • In america it seems like an idea could really propel you into wealth, for example if you are a 21 year old nerd you could create something like facebook and become a billionaire
    • No decent beaches or place to go on holiday that isnt a caravan type package type deal, a visit to a medieval town which gets boring after a day
    • Copying of other cultures hard a**edly ie cafe culture, and other Americanisms
    • Stupid low budget television, reality shows
    • Snobby Undeserved entitlement that people show/ insecure
    • club life-Repressed Wannabee thuggish types who are all gob, but when it comes to it they can't attract a girl or are even to shy to try
    • The whole getting a kebab or mcdonalds after going to a bar/club
    • The whole no sex please we're British thing

I was born in Britain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holmes221)
    For a few years now I can't help but feel that Britain is overall a pretty tacky nation. Perhaps I have been sold by the image of the american dream but theres a number of things.

• Our film industry is majority low budget, usually a indie romance flick or such
    • Hundreds of these cheap halal fried chicken shops in the high-street (not necessarily bad if you're a student but so many)
    • Outside of London lots of boring small towns and villages, with little culture or value for younger people
    • People in London cant interact with each, especially the opposite sex without getting drunk, and many settle with ugly partners
    • In america it seems like an idea could really propel you into wealth, for example if you are a 21 year old nerd you could create something like facebook and become a billionaire
    • No decent beaches or place to go on holiday that isnt a caravan type package type deal, a visit to a medieval town which gets boring after a day
    • Copying of other cultures hard a**edly ie cafe culture, and other Americanisms
    • Stupid low budget television, reality shows
    • Snobby Undeserved entitlement that people show/ insecure
    How dare you insult Her Majesty's Lands?? :shock:

Britain is the seventh-biggest economy on the planet, damn you! :haughty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    How dare you insult Her Majesty's Lands?? :shock:

Britain is the seventh-biggest economy on the planet, damn you! :haughty:
    Really? doesnt seem like it

ReputationRep:
    Really? doesnt seem like it
    Well it is, chap! It's just that the wealth isn't distributed in the best possible manner, as is the case with most of the rest of the planet.

By the way, are you British? There seems to be a high incidence of self-loathing amongst Brits these days...

ReputationRep:
    No... the phrase is

And No. It is rather brilliant once you get your utopian rod out of your ass.

And to quote the USA as a benchmark for "Untackiness"... Have you heard/visited of this place called "Hollywood"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Well it is, chap! It's just that the wealth isn't distributed in the best possible manner, as is the case with most of the rest of the planet.

By the way, are you British? There seems to be a high incidence of self-loathing amongst Brits these days...
    yeh I am and really bored of it

ReputationRep:
    I don't find Britain tacky compared to the US (home of junk food, bad TV, radical feminism and malls), but I definitely find it tacky compared to other places in Europe such as France, Switzerland and Scandinavia.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard North Korea's nice.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it ironic how someone who's so unhappy with Britain chooses a British fictional character as their username/avatar???

ReputationRep:
    The USA really isn't that special I'm afraid. I felt like I was the only white person there recently.

The roads were in a right state, the public transport dirty (in big cities especially), homeless people everywhere you looked. I used to love America, but it really has lost its shine for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Faust)
    I've heard North Korea's nice.
    Afganistan has lovely weather too this time of year. They also don't have ITV2 so OP will be overjoyed. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConnorB)
    No... the phrase is

And No. It is rather brilliant once you get your utopian rod out of your ass.

only if you take the delusional, blind one from poundland out of yours.

ReputationRep:
    Hollywood, you've sold your country well :borat:

fyi, america (which is obviously what you're comparing the UK to) has just as much mediocrity. However their land is bigger, so obviously it's unfair to compare our weather and entertaining locations to theirs, as you'll simply pick the entire country's best locations for each comparison... slightly imbalanced.

Pick one of their states, and compare it to our country.. suddenly things don't seem so bad

ReputationRep:
    You've watched too many american films.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think this is an extreme case of "the grass is always greener on the other side"
    I, for one, am so glad to be British. And I much prefer our film AND Television industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara5)
    Isn't it ironic how someone who's so unhappy with Britain chooses a British fictional character as their username/avatar???
    I didn't generalize and say everything is did I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConnorB)
    Afganistan has lovely weather too this time of year. They also don't have ITV2 so OP will be overjoyed. :rolleyes:
    They have Big Brother over in North Korea, y'know, nowhere is safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chadya)
    The USA really isn't that special I'm afraid. I felt like I was the only white person there recently.

The roads were in a right state, the public transport dirty (in big cities especially), homeless people everywhere you looked. I used to love America, but it really has lost its shine for me.
    The United States was always diverse as a result of its history - I don't see why that's a problem. In any case, it's still about 70something% White American so I don't see what you're on about.

ReputationRep:
    Desperate attempt at trolling, too strong.

ReputationRep:
    [*]Hundreds of these cheap halal fried chicken shops in the high-street (not necessarily bad if you're a student but so many)
    One of the best things about Britain :awesome:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.