Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best Digital Camcorders for YouTube Vlogging? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am starting a Vlog (based on my blog on TSR here) and need a good video camera. I have a Fujifilm camera at the moment, but the sound quality on the videos is DIRE and so I would like a cheap camcorder.

I don't mind buying a used one; as long as it's fully functional I don't care how it looks and I don't really want to spend more than £30.

I've looked on eBay and all there seems to be is broken ones or unbranded ones that aren't very good quality.

So, any sites or cameras that are cheap and would be good for vlogging would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you...!

ReputationRep:
    <bump>

ReputationRep:
    £30 budget :lolwut:

You're best off using the camera on your smartphone at that price range..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    £30 budget :lolwut:

You're best off using the camera on your smartphone at that price range..
    ha i have a nokia brick which doesn't have a camera

you'd be surprised - average priced (e.g. £100) cameras sell on ebay for around £25-35 secondhand.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to be successful on youtube, you really are going to need to spend alot more than 30£, no-one wants to watch a grainy video that they can't hear.
    Have you thought about maybe keeping your Fujifilm one but buying a microphone? Some relatively good microphones will definately cost around your price range.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cat1095)
    If you want to be successful on youtube, you really are going to need to spend alot more than 30£, no-one wants to watch a grainy video that they can't hear.
    Have you thought about maybe keeping your Fujifilm one but buying a microphone? Some relatively good microphones will definately cost around your price range.
    i bought a new Kyoto HD camera on ebay for £23. works perfectly and have uploaded my first video. (http://youtu.be/Vk_5byQhR2Y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holson)
    i bought a new Kyoto HD camera on ebay for £23. works perfectly and have uploaded my first video. (http://youtu.be/Vk_5byQhR2Y)
    congratulations

ReputationRep:
    being pretty honest... if you want to get into vlogging, you need better sound quality, much better.

The video quality looks ok (nothing particularly good, but nothing bad) - but it sounds really awful. very quiet, muted etc..

(( this may just be me... but also.. the audio seems that it isnt synced up with the visuals properly, seems to be a fraction out of time ))

Best of luck though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    being pretty honest... if you want to get into vlogging, you need better sound quality, much better.

The video quality looks ok (nothing particularly good, but nothing bad) - but it sounds really awful. very quiet, muted etc..

(( this may just be me... but also.. the audio seems that it isnt synced up with the visuals properly, seems to be a fraction out of time ))

Best of luck though!
    sound is perfectly fine when i watched it so it might be your internet connection

ReputationRep:
    sound is perfectly fine when i watched it so it might be your internet connection
    compare the sound quality of the posted video, with the one 'jumpingjesusholycow' has in his sig (he was the second poster in this thread) - and its much much clearer, and louder..

ReputationRep:
    The sound is not good good. The sound is out of sync.

ReputationRep:
    compare the sound quality of the posted video, with the one 'jumpingjesusholycow' has in his sig (he was the second poster in this thread) - and its much much clearer, and louder..
    again, on my headphones my sound is clear AND loud enough... slightly out of sync towards the end but i think that was an editing issue rather than the camera

ReputationRep:
    again, on my headphones my sound is clear AND loud enough... slightly out of sync towards the end but i think that was an editing issue rather than the camera
    the sync issues are definatly editing rather then the camera, but they are present all the way through - just thought id point it out incase you haddnt already noticed..

Im sure it would sound clear through headphones at a pretty loud volume.. - but on my (reasonably good) speakers, at my standard volume.. it sounds pretty quiet, compared to most other videos...

Its not a major issue, but when it starts playing and sounds very quiet, it just feels a bit lazy, as if the maker didnt quite put bother to sort the sound levels out..

ReputationRep:
    the sync issues are definatly editing rather then the camera, but they are present all the way through - just thought id point it out incase you haddnt already noticed..

Im sure it would sound clear through headphones at a pretty loud volume.. - but on my (reasonably good) speakers, at my standard volume.. it sounds pretty quiet, compared to most other videos...

Its not a major issue, but when it starts playing and sounds very quiet, it just feels a bit lazy, as if the maker didnt quite put bother to sort the sound levels out..
    well i'm sorry if i'm 'lazy' but i'm new to this and don't really know anything about video editing - the most i can do is windows live movie maker.
    and btw, my headphones are at 2/10... so not really that loud.

ReputationRep:
    well i'm sorry if i'm 'lazy' but i'm new to this and don't really know anything about video editing - the most i can do is windows live movie maker.
    and btw, my headphones are at 2/10... so not really that loud.
    I didnt say you were lazy.. just that it seems lazy..

Your new, yes.. but surely you can hear the difference in volume/levels between your video, and other youtube videos? Even compared to the vlog of the poster earlier in the thread? (which I would say was a good/normal level )

ReputationRep:
    I didnt say you were lazy.. just that it seems lazy..

Your new, yes.. but surely you can hear the difference in volume/levels between your video, and other youtube videos? Even compared to the vlog of the poster earlier in the thread? (which I would say was a good/normal level )
    as i said: it's fine to me on my laptop/headphones.

ReputationRep:
    as i said: it's fine to me on my laptop/headphones.
    so in your headphones, these all sound the same volume/quality?

3 random popular blogs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2lY0T5cA0s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qneKSsLP0q4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=dLckXcatkb4 (one from earlier in the thread)

yours:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk_5b...ature=youtu.be

--- the other 3, are substantially louder, and clearer..

Im not saying you should have got it perfect first time round, but now you know - im sure you can work on it/improve

(as for me, im not just a random crazy person hearing different volumes... im a music student, with a fair bit of experiance in live sound, and recording/editing sound.. so.. just trying to help )

ReputationRep:
    The audio is a bit quiet and slightly crackled. It may help to get a better microphone (the ones in cameras are usually garbage). A condenser mic is typically used by the "advanced" bloggers (but they're expensive). Other options include lavalier mics (like TV presenters use and it clips onto your clothing). I bought the Ultradisk 4016 for under a tenner, and the quality is pretty good.

Before editing, it may help to get a baseline for audio levels. Listen to some videos and get a feel for the volume they're playing at, then balance your audio to get the same volume. With a microphone you can also go onto the recording properties (under Windows volume and playback/recording devices) and "listen" to the microphone. Thus, you can hear yourself talk and can get the mic in the right place for adequate volume and quality. Turn it off before recording.

Audio alignment might be a problem, but if you record in Audacity, you should be able to move the audio around on your video editor just fine. You'll just have to get used to editing!

ReputationRep:
    so in your headphones, these all sound the same volume/quality?

3 random popular blogs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2lY0T5cA0s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qneKSsLP0q4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=dLckXcatkb4 (one from earlier in the thread)

yours:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk_5b...ature=youtu.be

--- the other 3, are substantially louder, and clearer..

Im not saying you should have got it perfect first time round, but now you know - im sure you can work on it/improve

(as for me, im not just a random crazy person hearing different volumes... im a music student, with a fair bit of experiance in live sound, and recording/editing sound.. so.. just trying to help )
    okay so
    vlogbrothers: very expensive pro recording software.
    FleurDeVlog: not that much difference but she gets paid to vlog so could have expensive recording equipment?
    Ash Rahman: microphone...

i can't afford anything but free stuff. so... Kyoto HD camcorder and Windows Movie Maker will have to do.

ReputationRep:
    okay so
    vlogbrothers: very expensive pro recording software.
    FleurDeVlog: not that much difference but she gets paid to vlog so could have expensive recording equipment?
    Ash Rahman: microphone...

i can't afford anything but free stuff. so... Kyoto HD camcorder and Windows Movie Maker will have to do.
    surely there is a function on windows movie maker that lets you boost the volume.. - if not there are some good bits of free software out there for editing audio, that could do wonders

Things like:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

is a great bit of free software, that you could use to up the volume slightly, and tweak a few other bits..

Its a bit of work, and would take a while to get the hang of, but if you want good quality, without spending money.. you kinda have to get stuck in a learn how to do things the hard way

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 12, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.