Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I saw a guy get attacked and i feel really guilty watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, i went to the gym yesterday and when i finished it was late at around 10pm. As i was making my way back towards the bus stop i noticed 3 hooded guys cross the road ahead of me. I was playing some music on my phone at the time and luckily spotted them, so i stopped and quickly put my phone away. As i reached the main road ahead of me, i heard a man screaming and shouting for help. I saw those 3 guys attack this poor guy who was on his own waiting at the bus stop. One of them grabbed him and the guy was trying to get away, the other two threw a punch at him and kicked him. At this point he was on the main road and luckily a motorist noticed and stopped close by. The guys noticed and quickly ran away down a side road. The man who got out the car shouted something at the guy who got attacked before driving off, a police van also drove past but completely ignored the guy despite him frantically waving and shouting.
    The guy ran up to me, shouting that he got attacked although he couldn't speak English properly. He looked at me and asked me if i speak Punjabi, to which i replied no but i tried asking him if he was alright. He suddenly ran off along the main road to look for help i guess.

I feel really bad about this as i saw it happen and i did nothing to help him. It all happened so quickly in around 10 to 20 seconds or so and i just completely froze with shock as i couldn't believe what was happening.

One half of me, said i should have stepped in and tried to help that poor guy. As would i have liked it if i were being beat up and a passerby just stood there and watched. But as i had just come out of the gym i was exhausted and my body was aching so i would have been in no condition to fight. Standing at 5 foot 7 i'm not exactly big and neither am i skilled at fighting. Also there were 3 guys and they were quite tall and intimidating, chances are if i did get involved the moment that guy had an opportunity to escape he would have run off as he had no intention of fighting. Leaving me on my own to fight with 3 guys who could have had anything on them like knives.

I can't help but feel so guilty especially when i saw the cut on the guy's nose where one of them punched him and the look of shock and fear in his eyes.
    I feel as though i could have prevented or stopped this attack on him, if only i had the courage to jump in and defend him, instead of standing there like an idiot. But on the other hand, if i did get involved chances are i could have got seriously hurt myself. Also, even if i did manage to beat them guys up, the thing that worries me is that they appear to be from the local area. As i always go through that area and i normally wait at that bus stop on my own late in the evening/night they could plan to get me back with a few more of their friends.

Even though, i didn't get physically hurt this experience has left me feeling a little shaken, as i always wait at that very bus stop when i'm tired and heading back from the gym. And 9 times out of 10 i'm always on my own and it's very quiet around that area late at that time. The thing is that could have so easily have been me that got attacked.
    I think from now on i'm going to make sure i go earlier and make my way back home before it gets late.

This whole experience has been bothering me and is constantly in the back of my head. I just can't help but feel really guilty for that poor guy. I feel like such a pathetic coward as i should have done something.

What should i have done? What would you have done in my situation?

ReputationRep:
    I would have tried to chase them off, if that failed I would have looked for a ****ing fight.

ReputationRep:
    Don't blame yourself. It's easy for people to say what you should have done, but I think I'd do the same thing in your situation. I mean, you might get beaten up as well, and you did try to help the guy who was beaten up

You did the right thing imo

ReputationRep:
    I definately wouldn't have ran in with clenched fists. I probably would have just shouted because it may have scared them off, or failing that, given you a good head start if they where to turn and chase you in which case the victim could have ran off.

I can imagine it must have been shocking in the moment.And considering you where outnumbered, you probably did the right thing.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt many people would have done anything different. It's easy to say what you should do, but it's totally different when you're actually in that situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yorkshire.lad)
    I would have tried to chase them off, if that failed I would have looked for a ****ing fight.
    Yes but not everyone has as big keyboard muscles as you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slickrick666999)
    May we have the racial aspect of the people involved in this crime described please.

Many Thanks
    Why is that important? OP is asking what we would do in the situation, you shouldn't answer any differently regarding race.
    OP, I don't blame you for staying out of it. If it was me, I would have called the police but definitely wouldn't have intervened.
    Don't blame yourself and don't feel guilty.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'd have probably done what OP did. I wouldn't stand a chance against one person up for a fight, let alone three.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    I would've been too scared to have done anything(fight them),honestly, and I'm too weak and not particularly tall (5ft4), so I'd probably have ended up being beaten up myself. However, if I could, I would've hidden and tried to film the attack for evidence/ get photos of the attackers (before they disappeared), and then given to the police (later on) (or if I was unable to film I would've reported to the police later on) and just see if the victims ok.

That being said, I say that I'd try to that, but in such a terrifying situation, you can never really know how you're going to respond. Anyway, I think what OP did was acceptable, although we all wish we could intervene, sometimes it's just not possible.

ReputationRep:
    If it happened in 20 seconds or less, like you said, then like you I think that most people would just be in shock and disbelief.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    Yes but not everyone has as big keyboard muscles as you.
    That's true, most people probably aren't 2nd dan in kickboxing either. So you know...

5' 11' 185lbs. fresh

ReputationRep:
    yorkshire lad would've waded in and ended up getting merked

ReputationRep:
    Well, I would have called the police, but not got involved. If you get yourself hurt too, that isn't going to help anyone.

Sounds like a nasty experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    yorkshire lad would've waded in and ended up getting merked
    Might have done, but there's a greater chance they would have just ran off. I am not as selfish as you may be, hence I would have taken some sort of action rather than see someone get the **** kicked out of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yorkshirelad)
    That's true, but most people probably aren't 2nd dan in kickboxing either. So you know...

5' 11' 185lbs. fresh
    Not to insult you - you say that on here but if you were in the OP's situation would using martial art be your first thought? When you're in shock I guarantee you your kickboxing will be at the back of your mind.

And besides, martial arts would be next to useless if these hoodies were wielding machetes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandabär)
    Well, I would have called the police, but not got involved. If you get yourself hurt too, that isn't going to help anyone.

Sounds like a nasty experience.
    Good advice here.

If you get involved in something like that, it can be completely turned against you if it was to go to court. People suck and will do, say and blame anyone so they don't have to have the consequences of their actions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ss_s95)
    Not to insult you - you say that on here but if you were in the OP's situation would martial art be your first thought? When you're in shock I guarantee you your kickboxing will be at the back of your mind.

And besides, martial arts would be next to useless if these hoodies were wielding machetes.
    If I knew they had knives it would be completely different, I would probably pick something up and throw it at them, e.g. a brick and hope it hit one of them somewhere where it would atleast knock them out so the rozzers could do their job. I would most certainly not stand and watch.

ReputationRep:
    My first reaction when I read it was that I would call the police and not get involved until the gang disappeared, and make sure the victim was ok after they'd gone.

Now that I think about it though filming it would probably be better than calling the police because, in my experience, police take about 10 minutes to arrive after you call them and stuff like that only takes a few seconds to happen...

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't you run and call the police? DW , it's normal to freeze.

Why is no-one saying they'd call the police?

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't you run and call the police? DW , it's normal to freeze.
    (Original post by anonymouspie227)
    I would've been too scared to have done anything(fight them),honestly, and I'm too weak and not particularly tall (5ft4), so I'd probably have ended up being beaten up myself. However, if I could, I would've hidden and tried to film the attack for evidence/ get photos of the attackers (before they disappeared), and then given to the police (later on) (or if I was unable to film I would've reported to the police later on) and just see if the victims ok.

That being said, I say that I'd try to that, but in such a terrifying situation, you can never really know how you're going to respond. Anyway, I think what OP did was acceptable, although we all wish we could intervene, sometimes it's just not possible.
    What about calling the police ASAP?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.