Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I need some advice.
    I want to get a loan for around £1,500 and possibly spread it over 2/3 years.

I turned 18 this January so I'm limited on places which will give me a loan..
    First ill explain my money situation.
    I am currently finishing an apprenticeship and I get £120 a week at the moment. 4x120=480 a month income.

I spend at least 10-15 a week on paying for buses to and from work and personal use too. £10x4=£40 (roughly)

I also have an iPhone bill which is £36 a month.

£480-£36=£444
    £444-£40=£404 a month left without paying for lunches etc for work.

If I got a loan from natwest over 2years they would charge me:
    22.9% apr

I have to pay back: £1,846 over 2 years
    Thats £76.93 a month to pay back.

If I got the loan over 3 years they would charge:

I have to pay back: £2,029
    That's £56.36 a month to pay back.

I live at home with parents and don't drive.

Would anybody advise me to do this or is it a very bad idea?
    The money is for getting orthodontic braces which I desperately need.

I also have to pay £150 left on a holiday for September if that makes a difference.......

ReputationRep:
    Anybody ?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest even if you paid it back over 2 years, that's still over £300 more they will be taking back. Are the braces worth that? Could you perhaps ask your parents or a close relative if you could borrow the money and pay it back bit by bit every month?
    Plus you have to think, if you get the loan that is potentially £70ish added to your monthly outgoings.

I have a loan spread out over 2 years, but I only got it because I kept going over my overdraft limit and getting a lot of charges. The loan was from my bank purely to pay off the overdraft. If I didn't need to get a loan I wouldn't have but I was in a pretty desperate situation. My advice is only get a loan if you really really need it because overall you're paying back a lot more than you're borrowing.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.