Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

one unit or T-total? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hello

so basically on friday night, i am at a quiz thingy and taking my boyfriend there in the car. it should end at approximately 9.30pm.

the plan is afterwards going to the pub/club for drinks.

now i am a responsible person, i would either have one unit or nothing.

we plan to leave at half past midnight, earlier if im feeling tired.

i was just wondering, if i had a unit at the start of the night (so 9.30pm till say 10pm), would i be ok to drive at half past midnight?

also, if i had one unit spread out through the whole night, would that be worse?

i dont mind if the answer is dont drink at all... i may not drink at all, but it would be nice to have the option to

thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    It takes an hour for 1 unit to be broken down on average, depending on your gender, weight, age and how much food you have eaten etc. You should be perfectly fine to drive if you have 1 unit at half 9 then drive at midnight.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.drinkdrivinglaw.co.uk/dri...ving_limit.htm

It really depends how much you weigh, I don't think having one unit at the start of the night would really have any effect on how you feel later, but I would say it's not really worth the risk, if something did go wrong? But apparently is an hour to wear off for each unit you drink,

Hope this helped..

ReputationRep:
    I believe the statistics are that your body will process one unit of alcohol per hour. This should be counted from the end of your drinking - I think they suggest against trying to work out how many units are present in the system at any one time if you're drinking several beverages, so just count it from the last drink.

Personally? I generally avoid driving after any alcohol consumption and I leave it a good while if I do consume anything.

2+ hours to process one unit of alcohol should be adequate. Just be aware that a small glass of white wine (~10.0%) is just over 1 unit. The units are based on the actual volume of pure alcohol within the drink, not just a single measure of anything. I suppose for safety's sake it's wise to remind that even if you're below the legal limit, any alcohol will still have a negative effect on your driving, but you seem to be playing it quite safe anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    I believe the statistics are that your body will process one unit of alcohol per hour. This should be counted from the end of your drinking - I think they suggest against trying to work out how many units are present in the system at any one time if you're drinking several beverages, so just count it from the last drink.

Personally? I generally avoid driving after any alcohol consumption and I leave it a good while if I do consume anything.

2+ hours to process one unit of alcohol should be adequate. Just be aware that a small glass of white wine (~10.0%) is just over 1 unit. The units are based on the actual volume of pure alcohol within the drink, not just a single measure of anything. I suppose for safety's sake it's wise to remind that even if you're below the legal limit, any alcohol will still have a negative effect on your driving, but you seem to be playing it quite safe anyway.
    yer, i know that one WKD bottle or Breezers is 1.1 unit. i will be having a meal just before hand too

i just dont know much about biology, but i thought if you down a drink quickly youll get drunk quicker... i know its one unit but still :P

hmm ok. well i might just take a sip or two then of the boyfriend's alcoholic beverage and stick to the fanta, which i dont mind

thankyou for the response

ReputationRep:
    You can buy those single use breath tests.
    Have a few in the car if you're worried.

Personally, if I'm driving I'll have 1 pint or a glass of wine and call it quits. I'm sure i'd probably be fine @ 2 pints / 2 glasses but I like my licence too much to chance it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.