Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Whats Uni like for architecture/design students? Do they get much free time or is the course too time demanding?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SJB96)
    Whats Uni like for architecture/design students? Do they get much free time or is the course too time demanding?
    The amount of free time is variable. Sometimes I've had to do allnighters to meet deadlines, at other times I can be doing absolutely nothing for days (1st yr arch. student). It does depend on where you are though and how the course is structured. It tends to be a longer day actually in uni than most other courses though. My timetable is pretty much 9-5 everyday (although often it can run over to later) whereas friends on other courses only need to be in for 1/2 hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jlrxx)
    The amount of free time is variable. Sometimes I've had to do allnighters to meet deadlines, at other times I can be doing absolutely nothing for days (1st yr arch. student). It does depend on where you are though and how the course is structured. It tends to be a longer day actually in uni than most other courses though. My timetable is pretty much 9-5 everyday (although often it can run over to later) whereas friends on other courses only need to be in for 1/2 hours.
    Yeah I imagined it would be pretty time consuming What uni do you go
    to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SJB96)
    Yeah I imagined it would be pretty time consuming What uni do you go
    to?
    I'm at Sheffield uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jlrxx)
    I'm at Sheffield uni
    What A Levels/Grades did you get? And did you have any work experience or anything prior to applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SJB96)
    What A Levels/Grades did you get? And did you have any work experience or anything prior to applying?
    I got AAB (did art, geography and psychology) at A level and B at AS (history of art).
    I didn't do anything work experience before applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jlrxx)
    I got AAB (did art, geography and psychology) at A level and B at AS (history of art).
    I didn't do anything work experience before applying.
    What other Unis did you get offers from?

And do you know what Unis are best for the science/maths side of architecture? Cause I'm doing Graphics, Physics, Maths and Physics. I know Bath is meant to be good for that side, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get A*AA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SJB96)

And do you know what Unis are best for the science/maths side of architecture? Cause I'm doing Graphics, Physics, Maths and Physics. I know Bath is meant to be good for that side, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get A*AA.
    I think I got offers from Nottingham and QUB, cant actually remember tbh. Bath is the only one that I know that is considered to have a more technical approach, I didn't really look out for technical courses because I was looking for a more arts based course sorry.
    Maybe just look to see which unis require maths and/or science?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jlrxx)
    I think I got offers from Nottingham and QUB, cant actually remember tbh. Bath is the only one that I know that is considered to have a more technical approach, I didn't really look out for technical courses because I was looking for a more arts based course sorry.
    Maybe just look to see which unis require maths and/or science?
    Ok thanks, will do

One last question, how long would you say your average day is? And do you get much free time at the end of the day/week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SJB96)
    Ok thanks, will do

One last question, how long would you say your average day is? And do you get much free time at the end of the day/week?
    Pretty much 9-5 but it varies week to week, sometimes we're in more (there have been days when Im still at uni at 8pm), others we're in less (this week Ive been in for 4 hours in total). Then you have work to do when you get back, which can take hours (half way through an assignment right now, taking a break lol, been drawing plans up for the last 3 hours).
    Depends on what your doing at the time. Beginning of projects you don't have much to do so you tend to have quite a bit of free time, towards the end you have to work pretty solidly to meet your deadline as the nature of the work tends to be quite time consuming.
    I usually do my work during the week so I can have the weekend pretty much free (doesn't always work though) but everyone has different ways of dealing with the workload.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    For my course it is demanding. I have spent countless nights drawing and doing CAD, but i love it!

I don't get so much lecture time though so the work is all down to you and how much effort you put in.

Different projects take a different amount of time. In answer to how much free time do you get? Its all up to you. I still tend to have free time because i do the majority of my work the week it is set then i can chill towards deadlines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gunnerzz)
    For my course it is demanding. I have spent countless nights drawing and doing CAD, but i love it!

I don't get so much lecture time though so the work is all down to you and how much effort you put in.

Different projects take a different amount of time. In answer to how much free time do you get? Its all up to you. I still tend to have free time because i do the majority of my work the week it is set then i can chill towards deadlines.
    What uni do you go to?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SJB96)
    What uni do you go to?
    Plymouth University.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SJB96)

Just seen this bit too. The course im doing is Architectural Technology and Environment which is based around environmental building science, structural design as well as the architectural design. Sounds like it would suit you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.