Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I dont really like this title that universities give to anyone beginning a course at 21 or over. I'll be 21 this september so will be classed as a mature student when i start. Just wondered if anyone else around the same age feels the same. I know fine well im not the only one as there were a couple of girls on my course at college the same age and will be in the same position not to mention others from elsewhere. Im hoping my flat/house mates dont think too much of it either as yes i'll be 21 but i still enjoy going out partying and having a good time

ReputationRep:
    As far as I can see, the term "mature student" is just an artificial label which Student Finance and universities use to mean "not coming to uni as a school-leaver". The majority of 21 year olds I've met at uni have been every bit as lively and enthusiatic as the 18 year olds. And some of the 30+ bracket as well. By the same token, occasional 40-somethings I've tripped across couldn't really be described as mature!

I wouldn't get hung up on the terminology. Just be who you are. Whoever that is, you'll find other people like you who share the same interests. Nobody expects you to magically sprout a blue rinse and sensible cardigan and go to bed at 9pm with your curlers in, just because you hit 21. Heaven knows, I'm 49 and I'm still waiting for that to happen

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha thanks a lot. I must say i am partial to putting my curlers in! Im hoping when i get my accommodation i'll have been put with people the same age or have had gaps years and whatever else so are older as well as the school leavers so i dont feel like im mothering people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashmj92)
    Hahaha thanks a lot. I must say i am partial to putting my curlers in! Im hoping when i get my accommodation i'll have been put with people the same age or have had gaps years and whatever else so are older as well as the school leavers so i dont feel like im mothering people
    Goodness. If you're feeling like a mother at 21 then I'm gonna feel like a grandad at 25!

I was at uni at 18 and was really good mates with 20 somethings when I was there. In fact in my second year I lived with two 22 year olds (3 of us 19 and 1, 20) and we are still very good friends to this day. I.e there is nothing to worry about. Klix88 is spot on...'mature student' is just a label to distinguish between school leavers and those who opted for work first. It is purely for their own records in essence.

To paraphrase a few on here, treat people as you would your current friends and they will treat you the same. Age will be no barrier and I would be willing to bet money that you will become a peer that they look up to a seek advice from.

ReputationRep:
    I got an email from a "mature student advisor" from Bristol and i was actually surprised to learn that i'm comsidered a mature student.
    Being a mature student doesn't grant you any special "rights" or privileges as far as i can tell, so why rub it in peoples faces?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashmj92)
    I dont really like this title that universities give to anyone beginning a course at 21 or over. I'll be 21 this september so will be classed as a mature student when i start. Just wondered if anyone else around the same age feels the same. I know fine well im not the only one as there were a couple of girls on my course at college the same age and will be in the same position not to mention others from elsewhere. Im hoping my flat/house mates dont think too much of it either as yes i'll be 21 but i still enjoy going out partying and having a good time
    Not if you can't capitalise your 'I's and use punctuation reliably you're not.

ReputationRep:
    I find your response unnecessary and if I had wanted advice on my writing skills or punctuation i'd have posted elsewhere

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.