Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I would like to get your opinions about going abroad after obtaining a first undergraduate diploma in your country.

I am currently a French student, at parisian public university, in second year of a three-year Licence (that is 180 ECTS). I chose not to go on Erasmus or any exchange programme (there were opportunities to go to European or some US universities for half of the third year) but after I get my diploma i would like to study abroad.

I heard that foreign students go through easier selection when they apply for a degree. As I follow Economics, Management and English courses and collect honest grades (12/20 of average in first year, with some -sometimes very- great grades and some -same here- poor grades), I wonder if I can pretend to enter "top-ranked schools". I just learned about a MSc at Bocconi (economics/management in arts/culture/media/entertainment) and I found a great programme at LSE where I would really enjoy studying , but I don't know if I have a chance.
    Still, there is a year and a half before I finish my Licence !

Or should I lower my expectations ?

Thanks,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ztrbx)
    Hi there,

I would like to get your opinions about going abroad after obtaining a first undergraduate diploma in your country.

I am currently a French student, at parisian public university, in second year of a three-year Licence (that is 180 ECTS). I chose not to go on Erasmus or any exchange programme (there were opportunities to go to European or some US universities for half of the third year) but after I get my diploma i would like to study abroad.

I heard that foreign students go through easier selection when they apply for a degree. As I follow Economics, Management and English courses and collect honest grades (12/20 of average in first year, with some -sometimes very- great grades and some -same here- poor grades), I wonder if I can pretend to enter "top-ranked schools". I just learned about a MSc at Bocconi (economics/management in arts/culture/media/entertainment) and I found a great programme at LSE where I would really enjoy studying , but I don't know if I have a chance.
    Still, there is a year and a half before I finish my Licence !

Or should I lower my expectations ?

Thanks,
    There is definitely no reason lowering your expectations at this point in time. You still have time to improve your over-all GPA. And as they say especially with top schools, a great deal of admission chances heavily depend on the GMAT so It is something that you should look forward to. Your GMAT score 'might' also mitigate a not so good GPA, and is a very good equalizer in this regard. To some extent, there will also be other aspects they will look into like your extra curriculars in college or volunteerism. So chase your dreams and best of luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.